inner fairing

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by titan307, Dec 3, 2012.

1. titan307

titan307 Member

how do yall keep your inner fairings looking good. mine is looking sort of dull. tried some black magic trim stuff but it left it to greasy looking for me. i dont want it real shiny just looking clean and new.

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I use Mothers Back to Black on my inner fairing. Put it on, let it sit a bit, then wipe the excess off or buff it. It leaves a nice satin finish. I use it on everything black (except my eng./trans cases) on all my vehicles

3. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

I use "Pig Spit".
    Spray on lightly, don't even need to wipe down unless you think you got crazy with the spray.

Also can use it on engine cases. Makes things look new.

I thought about painting the inner fairing (a lot of extra work) but after using "Pig Spit", I've put that thought out of my mind. Much easier with spray.

4. King Dawg

King Dawg Member

Lemon pledge. Works great, I use on the wholle bike.

5. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Try black Kiwi boot polish. Works on my bike.

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Honestly, IMHO, best way to get your inner fairing looking good is remove/paint. It's a bugger to remove (not hard...lots of steps), but rewarding when complete. If you live in the upper 1/3 of our USA & have to take some riding time off for cold - not a bad project to tackle over a few weekends. Just a thought...

7. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

This is what I'm doing as part of my repaint project, the inner fairing will get dark grey metallic basecoat-clearcoat all the other painted parts will get an additional coat of tangerine candy intermediate.

8. Breeze3at

The stock, satin black, inner fairing is painted? I always thought is was the color of the ABS plastic. I'm gonna have to find an inconspicuous area to test.

9. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

No Breeze the stock matte black inner fairing is not painted,it is just the molded black plastic.Another reason they go a murky grey in the sun.

10. Breeze3at

That's what I thought. I was questioning Icemans post #6 about removing paint from the inner.