free website stats program Inner fairing fade is fixed | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner fairing fade is fixed

Mavagrand

As most of you know, I live in Florida where the sun can be brutal. You may also recall I got married in March of 2009 which required a move on my part. I went from having a covered carport for Black Betty to leaving her out in the sun. Anyway it took my about five months to get a shed built (16X24) to get her outta the weather.

Well the other day I noticed on the leading edge of my inner fairing in the area of both grips, a slight graying of the material. This is happening on both sides of the fairing right at the apex of the "wing" portion. If I was riding, I would be able to touch the area by extending my fingers. The graying is nothing too severe just a slight change in the color. It was enough to bother me so I hit it with some "Mothers Back to Black". This didn't really make much difference.

I got to thinking about my days in the Marine Corps and grabbed some black boot polish. I started rubbing it into the faded portion and, after about five treatments I couldn't see the faded spots anymore. Amazing. I rubbed it in then buffed it out with a microfiber cloth, made a huge difference. I now wonder if I can "spit shine" the inner fairing and avoid the cost of painting it. HEHE.

I tell you it is indeed the simple things in life that work. Between boot polish and Pledge I have a complete detail kit for my bike. Wanted to share this with you guys, perhaps someone can use it. Ride safe.

My 09 SG is doing the same thing, right side only, but not from being left in the sun, it's always in the shed when I'm not on it...

Wonder if warranty would cover it? Have not been to the shop to ask... I'll have to give it a try... If not, thanks for the tip...:s

I know they generally won't cover chrome (seems like my dealer will replace ONE piece of chrome ONCE and thats it) because they say it is environmental. I suspect they'll say the same about the fairing. If it's like mine, it appears to be cosmetic as the material itself didn't seem to be compromised. Good luck with it.

My 09 SG is doing the same thing, right side only, but not from being left in the sun, it's always in the shed when I'm not on it...

Wonder if warranty would cover it? Have not been to the shop to ask... I'll have to give it a try... If not, thanks for the tip...:s

if its cosmetic i do not think so....

I know they generally won't cover chrome (seems like my dealer will replace ONE piece of chrome ONCE and thats it) because they say it is environmental. I suspect they'll say the same about the fairing. If it's like mine, it appears to be cosmetic as the material itself didn't seem to be compromised. Good luck with it.

Does the phrase, "They all do that" ring a bell? :p

Back