Inner Fairing & Electrical Short too

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by petty424344, Jul 14, 2010.

1. petty424344

petty424344 Member

i too am having some problems after taking off the inner fairing on my 2006 road glide,i have no tach or speedo and have rechecked all the connectors and fuses,both guages sweep when i do diagnostics but i keep getteing the same code u1255 and no response on the p and sp mode any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Re: Inner Fairing & Electrical Short

Well a 1255 is a serial data buss error so that twisted pair used for commo is open. Carefully do a un-plug and re-seat of the speedo head connectors. Do that with the Maxi fuse (or battery) disconnected.
    It should be 1 of the connectors/connector pins etc causing this problem.

3. petty424344

petty424344 Member

Re: Inner Fairing & Electrical Short

thanks i tried that and i still have the same response,p=norsp,s=norsp,sp=u1255,t=none,cleared them all again and they come right back,mistified

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

And everything was fine until you removed the inner fairing? Bike was perfect until that fairing was removed and re-installed.

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Is your run/kill switch in the run position?

6. petty424344

petty424344 Member

yes ran the test in run everything seemed fine.i had a problem with the radio after this happened it kept scanning channels when i shifted or accelerated,these all came on 100 miles into our ride.

7. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

You made it sound like the problem happened immediately after reinstalling the fairing. Now it's 100 miles later?

8. petty424344

petty424344 Member

no problems after install,it happened next day on a ride to louisville,i thought i just blew a fuse but no such luck.i ran the test while i was in louisville and that when i had the codes appear.also noiticed the radio scanning stations all the time dont know if that is related.maybe ill just pull the fairing again and see if i pinched a wire,i did have a ground wire that went to the handle bar bolt but i did not remove it just thought that was wierd place for a ground wire?

9. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

The ground wire is there because of the rubber bushings to isolate handlebars so bars have a ground....

10. petty424344

petty424344 Member

im such a dummy i just had to pull it apart and found that i had broken that ground wire when i put on my fairing thanks for all your guys help i will be back and contribute