free website stats program Inner fairing crack repair | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner fairing crack repair

SGT ROCK

I have a 1999 FLHTC. The inner fairing has a crack at the center ferrel for the windshield screw.It won't hold the ferrel so I can tighted the screw, even with one of the oversize replacements. Anybody know what I can use to repair the crack so it will hold a replacement ferrel?

I used a repair kit for motorcycle body work on my Interstate, but that was 25 years ago. It worked fine, but I don't remember the name. It was in a yellow box and I think it had small pieces of cloth and a liquid...sort of like fiberglass...but I'm not sure.

If that's the route you want to go most good parts stores have fiber glass repair kits. Other than that I can't think of a good way to repair the crack so you can make it tight enough to hold the ferrel in place. JMO.

You might try some JB Weld. It is a two part epoxy putty that is stout enough to hold threads after it is cured. Might be able to remove the ferrule, apply the epoxy and then reinsert the ferrule.

I would reccommend a good epoxy kit. Lightly sand the areas to be repaired, mix and apply the epoxy at the crack area adding a cloth layer if necessary for strength. when dry, 24hrs, reinstall the hardware and attach the windsheild. If the crack is visable from the outside, sand, repair, sand, paint.

I'm in with the JB weld, use the 5 minute cure. The fiberglass repair kit will not work because the fairing is plastic. Be sure to rough up the area around the hole on the inside that is being repaired and a second application around the new ferrel will give it more strength when cured. Don't rush the repair, let it cure 24 hours before assembling and don't over tighten the windshield bolts either after the repair is done. If you have any problems with the bolts loosening just a T I N Y drop of blue locktite about the size of the head of a pin on the threads will stop that.
Good to know, for some reason I thought they we're fiber glass.:unsure

I'm in with the JB weld, use the 5 minute cure. The fiberglass repair kit will not work because the fairing is plastic. Be sure to rough up the area around the hole on the inside that is being repaired and a second application around the new ferrel will give it more strength when cured. Don't rush the repair, let it cure 24 hours before assembling and don't over tighten the windshield bolts either after the repair is done. If you have any problems with the bolts loosening just a T I N Y drop of blue locktite about the size of the head of a pin on the threads will stop that.

What year did they stop being fiberglass? '95?

It is possible to use Fiberglas repair kits on plastic parts just ensure you key the surface to be repaired the Fiberglas gel will stick very well and as a liquid will flow into cracks very well and fibreglass can be laid on to it with more gel to make a very strong repair
epoxy resin will also flow into cracks and go very hard given sufficient time
Epoxy putty will not flow so well into cracks but is good for plugging larger spaces
Once fully cured epoxy can be drilled and threaded just like plastic
So there are a few options perhaps it is worth getting some repair stuff and practise on something less important and find what works best for you

Brian

The JB weld sounds good. I did some checking and I think I used a product called THREEBOND all those years ago.

If I remember correctly the inner fairing of my '92 flhtc was made of ABS plastic and epoxy would not hold. I got an ABS glue from McMaster-Carr to repiar the crack.

It would be worth your time to find out if it is ABS or not,if it is ABS the ABS glue would be the best bet,it sort of melts the parts together for a really strong bond.Not sure but if I remember right you can weld the ABS parts.

Back