free website stats program Injector cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Injector cleaner

Big Poppy

New to the forum and new to the Harley world. Just bought my first Harley a month ago, an 04 Ultra Classic. Love the bike but it's been giving some issues. Seems to run fine and then every once in a while when it comes to idle while stopping, it starts running rough. Yesterday I put some sea foam in and filled up and road 40 miles without hesitation, even stopping at red lights and then stopped at intersection it started acting up. Strong gas smell and running really rough for about a mile then cleared up for the next 16 miles to the house, even stopped at three more intersections without incident.
I work on my own stuff so I replaced stuff that probably needed it because of age anyway. Things like battery, spark plugs, air filter, tank fuel lines and fuel filter, cleaned all connectors and put dielectric grease on them, pulled and cleaned fuses.
the previous owner only put about 500 miles on it over three years. I found this out after talking to the original owner and he told me the mileage when he sold it so I'm guessing it set in the garage a lot. I'm thinking the injectors might be either sticking or gummed up.
Bike has stage 1 and programmed ECM done.
I've got sea foam in tank now, the original owner says run bottle of Techron through it, it's better, in his opinion. My question is, can I mix Techron now or do I need to wait till tank is empty and ready to fill up again?
I don't know if this is normal but running 55-60 at 2200 rpm and start to go up a hill and roll on the throttle, I'm hearing valve rattle. im thinking it's just things aren't running just right. I'm only getting 27 mpg right now too, thinking that should be much higher.
You guys have the knowledge and experience so your thoughts will be very much appreciated.

I wouldn't mix the 2. Run the sea foam out then use the Techron. Have you checked it for codes?
27mpg doesn't sound to good to me either. The rough running is it with a full tank of gas or less? Could be a cracked/hole in one of the lines inside the tank, although you say you replaced those.
One more thing, Welcome from So. Texas.
tourbox

It only does it once a ride sometimes twice and it doesn't matter if tank is full, half empty or fuel light is on. Only notice it when I slow down to to stop and rpm is around 1300. It'll run rough for a little while maybe a mile or so then clears up and may not do it again for another 40 miles or so.

Have you cleaned the IAC? It usually causes idle issues when dirty. I do not think its what would be causing your poor fuel mileage though..
Does it have some sort of fueler attached to the injectors hidden someplace?

+1 on clean the IAC, have you done a fuel pressure test? As far as your lousy mileage, What do the plugs look like? are the tail pipe tips black in color?

Maybe the injectors are dumping to much fuel, your scoot should be upwards of 40+mpg.

Cleaned the IAC and it was dirty. Started up after I put it back on and on third start up it started cutting out again. This time I could see the exhaust, it was black, I believe that's raw fuel. I've got two into one pipe. I think the next move it to take tank off and check the injector wire harnesses and sensors.

Cleaned the IAC and it was dirty. Started up after I put it back on and on third start up it started cutting out again. This time I could see the exhaust, it was black, I believe that's raw fuel. I've got two into one pipe. I think the next move it to take tank off and check the injector wire harnesses and sensors.

Black/sooty tail pipe is a good indicator of running to rich. Pull your plugs and inspect then as well, most likely they will be black/sooth too.

If you're not running a fuel management system something else is causing it to dump to much fuel and that would certainly account for the poor milage.

Back