free website stats program Info on how to use m/c jack on Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Info on how to use m/c jack on Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm giving this a go, and I've got the jack lift pads as far to the rear of the bike as I can get them. I can't take the lift pads any further towards the rear, as there is a cross-brace welded onto the frame tubing on the rear underside.

I'm jacking the ole boy up, and the front wheel is 6" off the ground, and the rear wheel is still grounded. I'm not liking the looks of this, so doing a check with the authorities here, as to if this is normal. Doesn't look normal to me.

The brace is about 3/8" below the plane of the underside tubing, and my lift pads are too wide to get in between the side ridges of this brace. So I can't position the lift any further back. Suggestion please...thanks

My '07 has the same cross brace. I put one of the jack rails in the brace, it's not wide enough, and chews the rubber up some. You could use a 1x2 piece of wood to shim the brace. My front wheel is at least 6" off the ground before the rear clears. If I move my jack in front of the brace, the front is too heavy, and I don't like the way it tilts the jack. It's kinda unnerving the first few times you do it.

Thanks Breeze - yea, running solo on this and looked to me was going to be too rear heavy when off the ground. So you're saying too front heavy on yours if placed in front of that brace. That's interesting.

I know the shocks/forks are going to extend as you get off the ground, so not sure if you can get both wheels lifting off from the ground at close to the same time as you begin jacking up. Do you know on that? Maybe I don't have a problem here.

And my lift pads are too wide too and if I place under that brace it's gonna chew that pad up. So good idea on the shimming, if I have to do that - thanks for the feedback.

nervousness will wear off and you'll be fine. That jack is the best thing to happen since ice cream!

Hmmm RichardS does have a point, but ice cream is pretty hard to beat...and been around for a long long time! :D

Unlike the touring bikes, the softail has its own issues with respect to bike jacks because the shocks come in contact with the jack pads.

On a Softail where should the jack be placed? I place my jack so the rear arm of the jack is on the shocks. Is this OK? If I place the jack so it does not touch the shocks the rear of the bike does not lift right. The bike is a 09 Softail Deluxe....TIA...

Trucky911

On a Softail where should the jack be placed? I place my jack so the rear arm of the jack is on the shocks. Is this OK? If I place the jack so it does not touch the shocks the rear of the bike does not lift right. The bike is a 09 Softail Deluxe....TIA...

Trucky911

Because of the shocks in the bottom frame work, you should buy the Harley frame protectors and not jack the bike on the shocks, you may possibly damage them. $14.95 at Harley-Davidson.

making sure your saddle bags and tour pack are not fully loaded helps relieve some weight from the back end.

Also most jacks have some (2) stabilizer bolts by the foot pedal. Hand tighten them to the floor as it will make the jack a whole lot more stable from rocking

Just getting back into this. I bought some 1"x2"'s and shimmed the lift pads in order to get the rear pad inside the rear frame brace. Jacked 'er up and still had the same rear-heavy look to it. Same as when the lift pads were placed just fore of the frame brace (placement form where this pic was taken). I could push lightly on the rear of the bike and felt like it wouldn't take a whole lot to tip it back. Took a look at the jack itself and noticed this:

P1000226-1.jpg

This pic is with it just off the garage floor. I had it up 18" or so when I first noticed this leveling issue, and that wasn't looking to good either. Again, new to using m/c jacks (miss that ole center stand) but I wouldn't expect to see this. I'm thinking this jack (Craftsman Professioinal 1500lbs rated jace) is either ill-equipped to handle this bike, or I bought a defecive jack. Tell me this isn't normal?

I just went out and did some measurements with my red Craftsman and my EG Classic. At the moment the back wheel clears the ground, the bottom of my front tire is 6" off the ground. There is a 1" difference (twist) in the rails of my jack, in the position you have pictured. This is with the rear jack rail in the crossbrace. I noticed where your yellow arm is flat stock, mine is rectangular box. I was gonna take pictures, but the camera must be in my wifes car, not at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back