free website stats program Info on Breakout Box | Harley Davidson Forums

Info on Breakout Box

vtbikers

As we all know the Harley Breakout box P/N HD42682 and all the cable adapters can not be bought from Harley. So I have made my own and for a resononal price. For those of you that would like to have the sources for the connectors and the wiring diagrams I will be happy to share. Just let me know. I also have pictures of the one that I built.

I don't have the pictures on my web site. The list of parts I have in a word Doc. But I can email them if you like. I new to this site and I am not sure where I canpost pictures.

I don't have the pictures on my web site. The list of parts I have in a word Doc. But I can email them if you like. I new to this site and I am not sure where I canpost pictures.
you can just attach word docs, PDF's, pictures, etc to your post. Just click the paper clip at the to of the "posting box"

I put them up.

For got the wiring instruction
Pin 1 on both Gray connectors go to the Grey pin 1 banana jack on the box
Pin 2 on both Gray connectors go to the Grey pin 2 banana jack on the box
and so on.
Repeat for the black connectors

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok to start with let me explain what a Breakout Box is and what it does.
A Breakout Box is a way to tap into a wiring harness at any connector to get test points without causing any damage to the harness. It also allows you to start and run the motorcycle and have access to all the wires (test points) in that connector.
The HD Electrical Diagnostic Manual will instruct you at what connector to install the Breakout Box and when to install it. It also will tell you what to check (i.e. Ohms, Volts) and where to connect you meter (what pin for positive to what pin for negative).

The wiring for the box is as follows
The wire at pin 1 at the male grey connector goes to the pin 1 banana jack on the Breakout Box.
The wire at socket 1 at the female grey connector goes to pin 1 banana jack on the Breakout Box. ( Notice that both the wires from the grey male and female connectors join together inside the Breakout Box at the pin 1 Banana jack)

Do the same for pin 2,3,4 and so on.

Then repeat for the Black connectors.

The Parts I used are as follows:
Qty. Description Source

1 Project Box 8”x6”x3” Radio Shack
(Note: they come with a plastic and metal cover. I used the metal cover. You will drill 24 holes in the cover for the banana jacks. (Measure twice drill once!)

24 Red Banana Jacks p/n 81N1228 Newark Electronics
$0.31 ea. (if you buy 100)
(use red for grey connectors)

24 Black Banana Jacks p/n 81N1229
$0.31 ea. (if you buy 100) “
(use black for black connectors)

1 Deuthsch 12-Pos DT Recp. Connector Pacer Marine
p/n TDT04-12P (Grey male connector) $3.40 ea
You have to buy 5 min or you can get 1 from Batts for twice the price

1 Deuthsch 12-Pos DT Plug Connector Pacer Marine
p/n TDT06-12S (Grey female connector) $3.80 ea
You have to buy 5 min or you can get 1 from Batts for a lot more.

1 Deuthsch 12-Pos DT Plug Connector Batts
p/n DT04-12PB (Black male connector) $13.88 ea

1 Deuthsch 12-Pos DT Plug Connector Batts
p/n DT06-12SB (Black female connector) $17.72 ea

30 Deuthsch Pins

30 Deuthsch Sockets

16ga Wire (a lot)

Shrink Tubing

2 Gromets

2 sets Labels 1 Thru 12

I have inquired at Pacer Marine if they could get Black connectors. Don’t know yet

Sorry screwed up in the parts list
12 red banana jack
12 black banana jacks
60 pin in case you screw up
60 scockets in case you screw up.
all connections were soldered

was there any pictures associated with this thred. I would like to see them if there are so I can build a box

Back