free website stats program Induction Module Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Induction Module Removal

andyfnp

Hi Folks. I'm newly registered to the site but have already gained a lot of knowledge and good advice from your posts. I'm in some "deep doo" and hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I'm installing a Kuryakn Pro-R Hypercharger on a 2005 Road King Classic. Removal of the stock air cleaner and horn was straightforward, removed the electric horn on the left side to get to the Torx T20 screws that attach the induction module to the intake and the trouble began. The cooling fins behind the electric horn were beat up a little, and worse, the lower Torx screw holding the induction module is rounded out. Apparently the previous owner (or mechanic) attempted removal and messed up.

Access to the screws is difficult under the best of circumstances, with approach to the mounting screws from the left side of the bike, going between the heads with a long reach driver to get to the Torx screws. With the screw "wallered out", the situation has turned pretty sour.

Already tried a multitude of different bits to try to get a bite on the little screw with no luck. Anyone had this nightmare before and have any suggestions for getting this screw out?

Update. This induction module removal involves Kuryakn Pro-R Hypercharger installation.

Got the stripped lower screw out fairly easily with an Alden extractor set purchased at Home Depot...$20 but far superior to two other extractor sets I've collected over the years. Took some "engineering" to get the extractor on the screw but it's out.

As for the Hypercharger installation....tools required that you aren't likely to have on hand include a long reach T-20 driver. MUST have for removal of stock screws, even with the tank off. These tools are not readily available in my local parts/tool stores, so I built one.

1/4 " drive socket and extensions will not access the upper screw due to size restrictions of the access holes leading to the upper induction module mounting screw. The diameter of the bit adapter is simply to large, and I tried several different ones I had on hand.

Kuryakn (EDIT) ..the longer induction module replacement screws included in the kit are NOT T-20, but T-15!!!! So you gotta have two different long reach drivers! Maybe more seasoned wrenchers have these in the toolbox but I don't at this point. What a needless pain in the rear, thanks to Kuryakn.

I hope to replace the kit screws with some stainless 8-24 screws with Philips head so I don't have to build another tool or wait for a long reach driver set to be shipped in.

Maybe I need to post on this air cleaner installation later when I get it completed. Not familiar enought with the site yet to know exactly where best to post or link to this thread.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back