free website stats program Indexing spark plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Indexing spark plugs

Tigg

I recently read an article on indexing your spark plugs and I was wondering if this is a benefit to performance or just a lot of hooey.

Not worth the trouble of doing it unless you are racing and competing against a clock to win. You'll see no difference on the street.

Thanks Glider ..I wanted to see if it was worth the effort or just a waste of time.

The experts say it makes a difference in ultra high compression engines cause it puts the open area of the spark gap facing the center of the combustion chamber maximizing exposure of the mixture to the spark. Humm??? Ultra high compression, squish area . I would think with real high compression that the mix is gonna explode regardless of exactly where the spark is.

The experts say it makes a difference in ultra high compression engines cause it puts the open area of the spark gap facing the center of the combustion chamber maximizing exposure of the mixture to the spark. Humm??? Ultra high compression, squish area . I would think with real high compression that the mix is gonna explode regardless of exactly where the spark is.

Agreed High compression engines want to ignite the fuel after the engine is warm even without a spark hence the need for higher octane fuel to stabilize the combustion process.

"open area of the spark gap facing the center of the combustion chamber maximizing exposure of the mixture to the spark."

I think you meant to say facing the intake valve here? There are many different views on this to make it very effective. Some say towards the exhaust etc.

Indexing Spark Plugs

Last edited:
I know this topic is old but I just ran across a product from a company called E3 . They make a plug called Diamond fire and they are available for our HD's. Even though it may not be worth the effort to take the time to index the old style plug . If your ready to replace your old plugs you could put these in and achieve the same results without all the work. I don't want to put up a link because I don't know If I am allowed or how good these are but if you just search E3 spark plugs you will find it.You can read and decide for yourself........just a thought.

Jack

I know this topic is old but I just ran across a product from a company called E3 . They make a plug called Diamond fire and they are available for our HD's. Even though it may not be worth the effort to take the time to index the old style plug . If your ready to replace your old plugs you could put these in and achieve the same results without all the work. I don't want to put up a link because I don't know If I am allowed or how good these are but if you just search E3 spark plugs you will find it.You can read and decide for yourself........just a thought.

Jack

Jack

Indexing only gives VERY minimal benefits in the racing worlds and also may cause a code to set if using other than the HD plugs.

You can also post a link to a product on the forum as long as you are not selling it :D (advertising)

Back