free website stats program In the market... | Harley Davidson Forums

In the market...

israguard

Good morning guys,
My first posting in the Sportster section. I am a happy 2010 FLHX owner so all my time is spent in the Touring section.

I have had an "itch" for a while now for another bike.. something slightly smaller for quick hops.. Lets be honest... something else for me to play with lol.

I will stick to HD and am looking at 2012 Nightster or 1200 Custom. Cost wise they are close enough for me.

Dealer who I know well says they are both great bikes & its just that the 1200C I can customize much more at the factory level. Whereas the Nightster is more limited & I will be able to do on my own later.

Looks aside.. I am almost 5.11" & weight in at around 175lbs. From all of you Gents/Ladies who may own one of the two models mentioned above.. Do you ever find the bike too small ?. I just dont want to regret the purchase and a 15 min test drive doesnt help much. I dont want to go for a larger / bigger model as I already have a bigger bike.

Whatever thoughts / opinions / insight youre willing and able to share... I'd appreciate it very much.

Rgds, Shawn
Montreal

Hey Dbmg,
Thats a racer... Im all about looks & not speed. Just looking for another toy to wash & polish.. Speed isnt my thing at all.

Hi MDCowboy,
Forgive my ignorance. What do you mean by "You will need forwards"?.
Tks

I think here he means forward controls as the sportster usually come with mid controls and taller rider may find the mid controls a wee bit cramped

Brian

@ 5'11" - my 05 XL1200C was a nice scoot & fit well. Definitely changed the seat (Mustang) and I'll probably own another someday...Nightster or Iron883...same reasons you ID.

I find the look of the models with the 883 engine more aggressive and its what I like. I just fear engine is too small and I will not be happy. I therefore decided to set my eyes on a 1200 cc engine.

My sportster is an 883 that is stage 1 and on most occasions it is fine i have loaded it up and rode across the northern part of Europe on it normally cruising at about 70 to 80 mph it will do at least 95 thats where i start to back off however at 50 mph in top gear to accelerate past a car i do need to drop a gear
if you like the look of it then why not at least give it a test drive if you buy and later find there is not enough power conversion to 1200 will make for a very quick bike as it will have the gearing of an 883 and the power of a 1200

Brian

Back