In the market...

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by israguard, Nov 22, 2011.

1. israguard

israguard Active Member

Good morning guys,
    My first posting in the Sportster section. I am a happy 2010 FLHX owner so all my time is spent in the Touring section.

I have had an "itch" for a while now for another bike.. something slightly smaller for quick hops.. Lets be honest... something else for me to play with lol.

I will stick to HD and am looking at 2012 Nightster or 1200 Custom. Cost wise they are close enough for me.

Dealer who I know well says they are both great bikes & its just that the 1200C I can customize much more at the factory level. Whereas the Nightster is more limited & I will be able to do on my own later.

Looks aside.. I am almost 5.11" & weight in at around 175lbs. From all of you Gents/Ladies who may own one of the two models mentioned above.. Do you ever find the bike too small ?. I just dont want to regret the purchase and a 15 min test drive doesnt help much. I dont want to go for a larger / bigger model as I already have a bigger bike.

Whatever thoughts / opinions / insight youre willing and able to share... I'd appreciate it very much.

Rgds, Shawn
    Montreal

2. MDCowboy

MDCowboy Member

I am 6'1" 255 and ride the wheels off my bike. You WILL NEED forwards or you'll be scrunched up.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

4. israguard

israguard Active Member

Hi MDCowboy,
    Forgive my ignorance. What do you mean by "You will need forwards"?.
    Tks

5. israguard

israguard Active Member

Hey Dbmg,
    Thats a racer... Im all about looks & not speed. Just looking for another toy to wash & polish.. Speed isnt my thing at all.

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I think here he means forward controls as the sportster usually come with mid controls and taller rider may find the mid controls a wee bit cramped

Brian

7. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

@ 5'11" - my 05 XL1200C was a nice scoot & fit well. Definitely changed the seat (Mustang) and I'll probably own another someday...Nightster or Iron883...same reasons you ID.

9. israguard

israguard Active Member

I find the look of the models with the 883 engine more aggressive and its what I like. I just fear engine is too small and I will not be happy. I therefore decided to set my eyes on a 1200 cc engine.

10. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

My sportster is an 883 that is stage 1 and on most occasions it is fine i have loaded it up and rode across the northern part of Europe on it normally cruising at about 70 to 80 mph it will do at least 95 thats where i start to back off however at 50 mph in top gear to accelerate past a car i do need to drop a gear
    if you like the look of it then why not at least give it a test drive if you buy and later find there is not enough power conversion to 1200 will make for a very quick bike as it will have the gearing of an 883 and the power of a 1200

Brian