free website stats program In gear or neutral? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

In gear or neutral?

I always park and start the bike in neutral. I have taken to parking it in gear on an incline or in gravel to prevent rolling but I always start it in neutral.

Always neutral, I can't think of a time I ever parked any bike in gear, even in the mountains. I also don't think I have ever used the off/run swith on the right grip. Even with the Dyna where I have to drop my arm to reach the key. I have no specific reason, it's just what I do.

The owners manual says to have it in neutral so that is were it is. Only exception is when parking on a hill.

Like many others start in neutral (usually with the clutch pulled in) and usually park in neutral unless on an incline or around kids/crowds or questionables. Rarely ever use the kill switch!!

CatWoman :rider

Last edited:
I always start and park in neutral and leave in gear if on an incline . I always shut engine down with the kill switch was told by the dealer to do this so if someone would turn the switch on which is on the tank it wouldn't perssurise the fuel pump since it's injected .

I'm reading but I'm I learning anything? I'm amazed really on how differently we put our babes down. Or start for that matter. I have yet to hear anyone lock the steering. I have never used my key since I have an alarm. But then again, I'm usually in the saddle, so you ain't getting mine anyway.

I always start the bike in NEUTRAL but shut the bike off with the clutch pulled in and in gear.

I used to shut the bike off with the kill switch but was having the occasional problem of my bike starting up with a high rpm. I would have to cycle the ignition 3 times to reset the high rpm's.

It has to do with the new TBW (throttle by wire) design. It remembers the last throttle position before shutting down the bike. I guess I (unknowingly) would roll the throttle ever so slightly when engaging that kill switch. To avoid that from happening I now use my right hand (off the throttle) and shut down at the fork lock below. Haven't had any more issues of the bike starting up with a high rpm since.

Back