free website stats program In gear or neutral? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

In gear or neutral?

Park in Gear to prevent rolling and start in Neutral. I still pull the clutch but I know I am going to take my hand off the clutch as soon as it is started, so easier to just put in in neutral in the first place.

When I garage it I park in neutral,when parking on an incline I always leave it in gear.

Like Steve, on level ground neutral, when on an incline in gear. This is a habit from the old days of using side stands without a lock like the jiffy stand. But I also remember to check that I am in neutral, engine kill switch is in the proper position (I use the kill switch before I reach low to turn off the ignition when powering down (on my Sportster) and the reverse, when starting, I check for neutral, turn on the ignition, disable kill switch, then hit the starter.

No lurches, no surprises either way. Like tying ones' shoes, it is more complicated writing it then in actual practice. :D

Last edited:
I put it in neutral as I have to pull up onto the patio, then back about 15 feet into the garage. At lot easier to do if it's in neutral. When I start it, I always pull the clutch lever in and grab the front brake.

When out riding, the bike is always left in gear. It would only take a nudge from an inattentive cager, or some jerk to sit on it, to roll it off the kickstand. When I start it, I do it from the seat with clutch pulled in and front brake applied.

Parked and started in gear. Every once in a while I will put it into neutral when I am starting, like when I am in a hurry and still strapping on my helmet and gloves.

Always parked in gear to prevent that big OOPS!

I ALWAYS park it in gear ! better be safe than sorry (somebody moving the bike by mistake or kids playing around).
To start my bike I put it in neutral, in neutral I can move it easier then when pulling the clutch.

Back