free website stats program In gear or neutral? | Harley Davidson Forums

In gear or neutral?

pookibr

When I took the riders class they said to always leave the bike in gear when you shut it off and start it. Hubby tells me to always put it in neutral before I shut it off. What do you do?

I prefer to park it in neutral as well. Sometimes even with the clutch pulled in my bike likes to roll a few inches till it lubes up and sometimes there isn't a few inches when you got other bikes parked all around ya.

When I garage it I park in neutral,when parking on an incline I always leave it in gear.

I start it in neutral unless it is warmed up. Otherwise there is some drag on the starter motor. I leave it parked in gear so it doesn't roll...even on flat surfaces. I don't really have an SOP for shutting it down...often I'm rolling with the clutch in and shut it down before I come to a stop.

When I took the riders class they said to always leave the bike in gear when you shut it off and start it. Hubby tells me to always put it in neutral before I shut it off. What do you do?

I don't start the bike in gear as there is a drag on the starter when the bike is cold, something that I've experienced with both automobile and motorcycle manual transmissions. Parking it in gear can prevent it from rolling so isn't a bad habit to get into; just slip it into neutral before starting.

When I took the course they told us to shut off in gear. When starting, put it in neutral and pull the clutch in because the neutral light only means the light works. One instructor told us he rolls his bike forward a couple of inches to make sure it is actually in neutral but he still pulls the clutch in when starting.

I'm a charter member of the "park it in gear, start it in neutral" club. And this is how it was taught 2 years ago when I took the MSF BRC.

I usually park in neutral always park bike facing uphill (wife hasn't got her head to do that automatically) if possible nose out to the road
always start in neutral was taught to pull in clutch and turn engine over a couple of times with the kickstart to free off the clutch plates before starting Ive now got used to pressing a button with the clutch pulled in

Brian

Back