free website stats program In case you didn't know | Harley Davidson Forums

In case you didn't know

ashenfang

I thought I would post up some info regarding the heat shields on the late '08 and '09 sportster models. I recently posted a topic about having a problem with my rear cylinder heat shield and it not fitting properly (getting a slight 1/4" gap where heat shield "rolls" into slip on) I also read where some SE slip on's where having this problem. I removed my slips ons and basically did a "reinstall" to make sure I had it all right with the same results. Today I called up RUSH, and briefly explained to him the problem, he was very nice and said this is a known issue with late '08 and any '09 sportster models using the new heat shield. There is a slight variation in the heat shield design which causes the heat shield to not mate up properly.

Its not a huge issue, just kind of annoying. All my friends never saw it, but I know its there LOL :newsmile058: At any rate, I just thought I would let anyone know who is having this problem where the problem actually is. RUSH says it can be fixed by putting on a '07 heat shield, but to me its not worth the extra money.

I thought I would post up some info regarding the heat shields on the late '08 and '09 sportster models. I recently posted a topic about having a problem with my rear cylinder heat shield and it not fitting properly (getting a slight 1/4" gap where heat shield "rolls" into slip on) I also read where some SE slip on's where having this problem. I removed my slips ons and basically did a "reinstall" to make sure I had it all right with the same results. Today I called up RUSH, and briefly explained to him the problem, he was very nice and said this is a known issue with late '08 and any '09 sportster models using the new heat shield. There is a slight variation in the heat shield design which causes the heat shield to not mate up properly.

Its not a huge issue, just kind of annoying. All my friends never saw it, but I know its there LOL :newsmile058: At any rate, I just thought I would let anyone know who is having this problem where the problem actually is. RUSH says it can be fixed by putting on a '07 heat shield, but to me its not worth the extra money.

What is the extra cost of the '07 heat shield?...I say pay the money, less aggrevation and guess what, you can go on with the time saved to go to the well and do something even better with your time...hey I already spent a couple hundred dollars just for an oil change, filter, primary/clutch oil change, tech manuals and some riding paraphenalia; it can't be that bad...:small3d026: AND THE SAGA continues...! :D

the price of a rear heat shield is $117.00 plus tax from the stealer. Which, IMO, is ridiculous for what it is. I would disagree that its a RUSH problem. The slip on's fit fine on an '07, just not the '08's. If you compare the two heat shields, the difference is in the end of the shield where the slip on would touch. The '07's are about 1/2" shorter than the '08's

the current model of rush slip on's are designed for use on sportsters 04-08. However, if you purchased a late model 08 bike, much of that bike is using 09 parts, for example the heat shield is an 09 design change. Its hard to really blame anybody because RUSH can't make a change to something if they don't have the changes that HD made. I dunno, I was just simply posting up the info I had, not trying to pass the blame to anyone.

Back