free website stats program In addition to new pipes...what else do I need? | Harley Davidson Forums

In addition to new pipes...what else do I need?

JKT1969

I know I need more than just pipes...I am looking at Monster Ovals (not decided yet, but they still are #1). What else do I/should I get in addition.

I plan on buying all the stuff, then taking it to HD to have them install it all. And, no, unfortunately I do not have the tools nor the know how to try and do this all by myself. I would gladly do it myself if I had an experience tool hand assisting me.

Thanks...

If you want to do the package, you need the slip ons of choice , intake stage 1 and some added fuel instead of a download from the dealer.

No reason you can't do it yourself if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Last edited:
I'd say get "the download" from the dealer. It'll sure help to provide a better base to work from. This coming from the understanding he don't want to do it himself and wants "uncomplicated".

So that would be the slip ons of choice, plus something like the V&H Fuel Pack to go with, or is a 3rd thing needed?

Cool. So I can:

1) get the pipes and do nothing except maybe get a high flow air filter, keep stock housing.

2) get pipes, change housing for high flow filter, do the fuel manager

3) get pipes, filter, take to HD for a down load.

Yep, only if you do #1 get some fuel manager because doing both pipes AND a/c will lean out mixture possibly beyond the existing ECM/EFI system is able to compensate making #2 (preferred) or #3 to get A/F mixture back to manageable "lean" operating mode.

If you change the pipes only, the standard airbox/filter provides enough air flow restriction to still keep the OEM settings able to compensate.

Ok...sorry to ask so many questions. You are saying I can just do the pipes, no high flow or fuel manager...?

What if I did the pipes, fuel manager and that's it? I understand that if I go with Monster Ovals it will lean the bike out more, but 09's can compensate some, where it's maybe 50/50 on a fuel manager being needed.

Ok...sorry to ask so many questions. You are saying I can just do the pipes, no high flow or fuel manager...?

What if I did the pipes, fuel manager and that's it? I understand that if I go with Monster Ovals it will lean the bike out more, but 09's can compensate some, where it's maybe 50/50 on a fuel manager being needed.
if you do the pipes and high flow air cleaner, fuel management is the proper thing to do.. since you asked for opinions, here is mine.. the monster ovals sound great.. so does the d and d 2 into one..
get a full exhaust system of your choice, get the screamin eagle air filter, get the screamin eagle pro super tuner, let the dealer dyno tune the bike... then you are done. it will run great be 100% for what it is, no prollems.. that is my advice since you arent the mechanical type of person( u said that)..:cheers

if you do the pipes and high flow air cleaner, fuel management is the proper thing to do.. since you asked for opinions, here is mine.. the monster ovals sound great.. so does the d and d 2 into one..
get a full exhaust system of your choice, get the screamin eagle air filter, get the screamin eagle pro super tuner, let the dealer dyno tune the bike... then you are done. it will run great be 100% for what it is, no prollems.. that is my advice since you arent the mechanical type of person( u said that)..:cheers

Well, I am not totally mechanically iliterate...however, adding exhaust and tweaking fuel mixtures will be the first time I have done it, and it's not exactly something I want to do on this bike by myself. This thing cost a pretty penny and I don't want to do anything to mess it up...I would LOVE for someone who knows how to work on them stand over my shoulder though and walk me through it.

Good advice....I believe this will be a multi-stage project for me.

Back