free website stats program In a tight | Harley Davidson Forums

In a tight

mlrc10

My clutch is in need of adjustment. Was going to go ahead and change the primary fluid too.Ran the bike til warm ,strapped it upright and drained the fluid. One screw in the derby cover won't come out.They were all extremely tight (didn't put a torque wrench on them ) but the one would not move .I was thinking I was going to strip it so I went and bought a new Craftsman bit .Put it on a 1/4 " ratchet and promptly twisted the bit .Still didn't budge.It hurt the screw....so I rolled it under the carport and walked away.So now I own a $24 k paper weight.Any tips to get it out.Thinking I'll going strangle the Tech at the HD shop tomorrow ,since he was the last one to work on it.

the first I removed mine I had one that was real tight took a very small punch
& very carefully notched a grove in the head slowly worked it loose. this might be worth a try take your time. good luck

First thought would be to try tapping (hit) the screw with a hammer using the bit as a punch......sometimes impact will break it loose.. careful not to do any more damage to the screw head and don't miss and hit the cover

good luck

It is quite a common problem if you can still get some use of the head of the screw try a hand impact driver that will usually get them to move
If the head of the screw is stripped out then drill the head off the screw once you have the derby cover off you shold be able to back out the threaded part by hand or with a plyers or grips
coat the replacement scews with copper grease prior to refitting and that should help for the next time

Brian

Fin's got a good idea,, impact s/c driver used many times on philips s/c on metric bikes,,,

I always put a bit of antisieze on the bolts when I re torque them, that way they will come out next time, when I find one too tight I hit it on the edge with a punch and walk it out:s

All good ideas guys thanks. Fin I hadn't thought about that....once the cover is off vise grips will work duh.May go out and get on it again,had to walk away before I blew a gasket.

First thought would be to try tapping (hit) the screw with a hammer using the bit as a punch......sometimes impact will break it loose.. careful not to do any more damage to the screw head and don't miss and hit the cover

good luck

my vote also, give it a good whack

If you stripped out the grooves...before you drill it out...take the next size bigger torx socket...put an extension on it and set it on the screw and take a small hammer and tap the bigger torx socket...it will cut new groves into the screw,you will feel the socket seating into the screw,then remove the screw...I have used this technique several times on stripped torx head screws with out fail.

Back