free website stats program in a jam | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

in a jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the only way to replace the secondary tensioner is to remove the cams from the cam plate. since you work in a machine shop you probably have access to a press. go ahead and replace the outer bearings when you do this. If for some reason you don't have access to a press you can use the oven/ freezer method to remove and replace you cams from the cam plate. I hope you have a service manual.

Ideally if you had the money and the tools necessary you would also replace the inner cam bearings with Torrington B-148 bearings. To do that would require a special bearing puller/ installer and the cheapest that I have seen for one of those is $90.00.

Use the SE quick install push-rods. As stated before they will run you about $140-160. Then when you have the money later you can update to the hydraulic style tensioners and it won't be that hard to do.

the answer to my own question is no, in case anyone cared, which they must not since I didn't get an answer. The only way is to push the bearings out which is no problem if you have a hydraulic press. I mean its aluminum and not very thick. so thanks for everyone's help.

I answered your question in the first paragraph of my previous reply. You have to remove the cams from the cam plate, either with a press or using the oven/freezer method.

the answer to my own question is no, in case anyone cared, which they must not since I didn't get an answer. The only way is to push the bearings out which is no problem if you have a hydraulic press. I mean its aluminum and not very thick. so thanks for everyone's help.

Carefull, remember you're asking for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back