free website stats program in a jam | Harley Davidson Forums

in a jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooheritage

Hey guys and gals, OK need some quick advice, was hoping to put in a stronger spring to increase the oil PSI, got in there and noticed that the rear tensioner was cracked almost in have. I know I need to replace it, I'm planning a trip to Iowa in 5 days with the MC that I'm in. I have very little money to mess with and I was wondering will it be cheaper to pull the rocker boxes and get all the new gaskets or cut the push rods and just replace them, also what kind of special adjustments would there be on the install of the new push rods? Do I absolutely have to get special tools or is there other ways of doing it. I work in a machine shop, so I can make some tools if necessary. please help

I would cut the PR and get the adjustables it would save some time. You may want to upgrade to the hydraulic setup while you are that far into it.

Is it just the front tensioner that is bad? How is the rear tensioner pad?

the rear is cracked almost in half, the front, or the one you can see when you first take the cover off, has about a .050 groove in it. as I said I really don't have much money to do a lot of work, I will go back in later and do upgrades.

Glider has you covered, but do order the two tensioner pads at the very least, and double check everything before you button it up. Never fails, if you go on a long trip, the odds are greater you will have problems because you did not have time for things to stabilize at least a month before going on an extended tour...so just take extra care, use a torque wrench and do a final critical fasteners check and inspect for perpheral damage in the service area (redressed/pinched wires and the like) when doing that last minute service.

the rear is cracked almost in half, the front, or the one you can see when you first take the cover off, has about a .050 groove in it. as I said I really don't have much money to do a lot of work, I will go back in later and do upgrades.

I think we have been there on your build date//// Another member,,, Look under "Bad Motor" and read...

Seems to me the best way to do yours is cut... then when you get time to do the up-grade, it will be easier...

You only need to re-install and re-adjust.. A clothes pin (spring style) will keep the Shields up far enough to get a good size Bolt Cutter in to do the job (don't hack-saw)..

I usually cover cutter with a shop cloth, after in position, as rods can pop when cut and cutter Jump, scar chrome if not careful.. Make sure the push-rods Turn freely before it is cut... spark plugs out and turn engine over with tranny in 4/5 gear, turning tire forward...

A large paper-clip can be U fashioned to Hold the lifters from falling into the cam chest...

signed....BUBBIE

ok thanks, but is there anything I need to know about the adjustable pushrods? Do I cut the old ones and just put the new ones in? What kind of adjustments are needed? Do they self adjust or are there things I need to do?

ok thanks, but is there anything I need to know about the adjustable pushrods? Do I cut the old ones and just put the new ones in? What kind of adjustments are needed? Do they self adjust or are there things I need to do?

I kinda explained it above.....

You need to BUY a set of (suggested) SE push-rods (fully adjustable type) slender taper are what I use... about 140$$ and instructions are there with the them.. It is NOT a difficult job and a HD big book would be nice to use.... as it shows How to do it..

The fully adjustable tubes come with All needed parts but the cam chest gasket.....

good luck and Borrow a book if you don't have one... Not sure what is in self help Here on the site but you can look.... I'm sure TQ or one of the mods. can give better direction,,,, hope I helped.

signed....BUBBIE

Depending on which ones you buy they all come with instructions on how many turns to adj. Make sure you let the lifters blead down after each adj.

Hey guys and gals, OK need some quick advice, was hoping to put in a stronger spring to increase the oil PSI, got in there and noticed that the rear tensioner was cracked almost in have. I know I need to replace it, I'm planning a trip to Iowa in 5 days with the MC that I'm in. I have very little money to mess with and I was wondering will it be cheaper to pull the rocker boxes and get all the new gaskets or cut the push rods and just replace them, also what kind of special adjustments would there be on the install of the new push rods? Do I absolutely have to get special tools or is there other ways of doing it. I work in a machine shop, so I can make some tools if necessary. please help

Watch and read this stuff:

TQs Engine Build

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back