free website stats program Improper spark plug gap | Harley Davidson Forums

Improper spark plug gap

Ken S.

What engine firing problems could be seen from too little or too much spark plug gapping.

non firing? After my charge and start of the bike today the front cylinder wasn't firing. By the look of my plugs, black sooty, I'm running rich, or that dang enricher is fouling it.

non firing? After my charge and start of the bike today the front cylinder wasn't firing. By the look of my plugs, black sooty, I'm running rich, or that dang enricher is fouling it.

Pinging and hard starting and missing

Pull the plugs and gap them also see if they are wet with fuel.

Well rats. I guess I'll get some new plugs and wires tomorrow and a can of
WD-40 and check for leaks. And take the breather off and see if I'm getting good air.

The front is wet with fuel. Wiped it off warmed it up with a lighter stuck it back in, try again still wasn't firing Glider.

Thanks.

Well rats. I guess I'll get some new plugs and wires tomorrow and a can of
WD-40 and check for leaks. And take the breather off and see if I'm getting good air.

The front is wet with fuel. Wiped it off warmed it up with a lighter stuck it back in, try again still wasn't firing Glider.

Thanks.

Check plug wires with a ohm meter

You could swap the front and the rear plug and see it the problem moves to the rear cylinder.
If you replace the plug wires don't get fancy here, just the stock replacements will do a good job.

Well, double rats. Don't know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Just got the call that my Mom died at 7:30 tonight. She was 87 and lived a good long life.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Ken

Well, double rats. Don't know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Just got the call that my Mom died at 7:30 tonight. She was 87 and lived a good long life.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Ken

Very Sorry to hear that ..

Back