free website stats program Importing US spec bike into Canada? | Harley Davidson Forums

Importing US spec bike into Canada?

You need to fax the title and bill of sale to the border where it is going to crossover at least 72 hrs. before the bike arrives. The port of exit will stamp them that it is free to cross into Canada.Then you have to stop at Canadian immigration and pay the GST payable based on the purchase price.You also have to buy a compliance form (around $200) When you are home with the bike you go to Canadian Tire with the form and they check the bike and fax the form to the Gov. A few weeks later you get a compliance tag which you have to stick on the frame of the bike.If the border crossing part sounds a bit much I can put you in touch with a broker who will do it for under $100.But it really isn't that hard.If you need anything else just ask.I am more then willing to help.

thanks for the info, I sure this is going to be harder than I anticipated, I'm in the Military, moving from germany back to Canada. The bike is getting loaded with the rest of my house hold furniture put on a boat, and shipped to canada. I have no idea what port my shippment is getting into, it could take 30-40 days for my stuff to come, I'm entitled to some of the purchase price being tax free, it's going to be a mess....I do thank you for your help, but I'm not sure it's going to help. where do i get the compliance form is that the RIV FEE? and I saw on the deeley site i need to apply for a recall status letter. and What does a tire have to do with any of this?

You can get your RIV or compliance form at any Canada immigration office.
There was an initial recall on the Dunlop tire that came on your bike.
You could try just letting your stuff all come back and if it makes it into Canada go to your local Gov. office and get it straightened out then. A Vet.friend of mine did just that and it all turned out fine. Probably wouldn't go yhat easy for me.

and What does a tire have to do with any of this?

I saw your reply in my email notification (because I am subscribed to this thread)and this question was about Canadian tire. You take the RIV form to Canadian Tire and they do the inspection, they sign off on the RIV form if all criteria is met and sends it into the Feds. There are probably others that do this but CT is convenient.

I have been through this years ago and it really was no big deal, I believe it's just a money grab for the Feds.

Back