free website stats program imperial or metric tools? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

imperial or metric tools?

Making progress on tool collection & advice here has been very useful.
One question about lifts (sorry if it seems obvious/daft, but I am a real novice here): obviously if one is checking out lifts to buy, you have to get one that will fit under your bike - eg if the minimum lift height stated by retailers is 125mm, presumably this would be no good for my sportster low, which has a ground clearance of only 99mm. Am I right in this? I hav'nt seen any lifts lower than this....

Pull the bike upright then mesure the ground clearence
i push lift in from right side of the bike till it stops then pull the bike upright then pump up the lift

Brian

You should have no clearence problems with a XL, you probably will want some rubber blocks that snap to the frame like harley sells to give a flat surface for the jack. Their under $20.00.

One other tool recommendation is a right angle lo profile ratcheting wrench that accomodates Torx, Hex & Star bits to help you get in tight place, but use ratchet so you do not have to unseat bit from the head each time. No reason to push your patience to the limit 1 degree at a time...!

Also, once you figure out the most common ones you need, you may want to "double up" on them so you can carry spares in your bikes's tool bag. Even metric street and dirt bikes carry a minimal set of tools, like take apart drivers, spark plug wrench, fuses, general purpose wire, electricians or duct tape, zip ties etc. for those unplanned roadside repairs.

Here's a list of tools that Harley feels Tech's & their Dealerships should have:
Might be a little out dated, but a good start.

TechnicianRequiredTools.jpg

ToolsforDealerships.jpg

Maybe this conversion table can help some ones.

conversion.png

I love this forum :)

if there all imperial (SAE) then i dunno why some of the fixings are in mm?
what i would if i was you would be invest in a good set of Torx bits and allen keys in both metric and SAE/Imperial, and ensure they are socket useable and not just a L shaped key, get set of star sockets as well
also get a filter wrench, a belt tension tool (hd only) and a good bike lift, i use the lift from Machine Mart and it lifts my glide no probs[/

Hobbit

Got nearly all the tools on my shop list now & just have to learn how to use them.
Re the lift: Would that be the red Clarke 500kg lift? Thinking of getting one for the 883L as its got min height 105mm & max 470mm.

Cheers for that, very helpful - just got a new tool chest & my kit has now been named the "Hobbit collection" in your honour!!

The days of just one set of tool's are gone, you need both sets. Battery bolts 10 mm, front has metric parts also rear axle on touring are 36mm, it's getting to be more & more metric. Look at the V-Rod.

And dont forget the Dog bone or torque adaptors that Chopper spoke of before. They are some times the only way to torque some of the critical harware like head bolts and base bolts on the older pans and shovels with accuracy. Snap On , Matco, Mac and S K make these. You may also find cheaper knock offs of these. They come in 12 point, 6 point and spline drive, which may be over kill unless you are using aircraft fasteners, Jack

Back