free website stats program imperial or metric tools? | Harley Davidson Forums

imperial or metric tools?

RAWLDYMAN

Based in UK & I'm hoping to do a few minor maintenance jobs on my sportster before the new season - I've not got the bike long and have virtually no experience in bike work - apart from cleaning. I've ordered a service manual &
I need to build up a collection of basic tools for minor maintenance jobs but I've heard the kits available from the HD dealer are a rip off.
Just so I buy the right stuff, can somebody tell me is it true that fittings on HD's are all imperial sizes (not metric)? Any other advice on what "essential" tools I should get?

Harleys are imperial size but don't be suprised to find the odd metric on them. Harley parts are sourced from around the world.
kemo

The days of just one set of tool's are gone, you need both sets. Battery bolts 10 mm, front has metric parts also rear axle on touring are 36mm, it's getting to be more & more metric. Look at the V-Rod.

Harleys use both sae and metric. Along with the tools that Hobbit stated, a good set of sockets and wrenchs will come in handy along with a good set of screwdrivers. A good torque wrench is a MUST. These don't have to be the most expensive, but you don't want the cheap ones that will do more bad than good.

Imperial sized tools are getting harder to find these days but are still available and it does not matter how many tools you have you never have the one you need for the job
you will need both metric and imperial tools a good socket set is a must and a good torque wrench to fit the sockets i use mainly 3/8" sq drive on the bikes but do use 1/2" from time to time a good set of allen keys with 3/8" sq drive will be required also torx heads with 3/8" sq drive ensure when you buy torx wrenches that ba t27 is in the kit you will need it and it isnt in most kits
however the most important and most used tool is the service manuall i use both harley and clymer sevice manuals i dont like the haynes it tries to cover every sportster ever built in 1 book

Brian

Here's a list of tools that Harley feels Tech's & their Dealerships should have:
Might be a little out dated, but a good start.

TechnicianRequiredTools.jpg

ToolsforDealerships.jpg

I got the "Metrinch" tool set many years ago and have loved it since the first day I used it! These tools truely fit both metric and SAE. Kit contains deep well and regular sockets, open and box combo wrenches, torx, allen, flat screw driver, phillips screw driver, and all fit the included ratchet, extensions, adapter, swivel,etc. I first thought it would be a cheap gimmick set but rolled the dice. I'm amazed! lifetime warranty and I have never broken any piece even though I've used the sockets with impact wrenches many times, SSHHH!! :) No I'm not affiliated just passing on some great information. I got the bigger 64 piece set. Any body else used these tools?

Back