free website stats program I'm stumped with my clutch. 03 RKC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm stumped with my clutch. 03 RKC

If I go out in that garage and start her up and change gears fine and the clutch works........I shall bury my head in shame, go to late Service tomorrow and wipe out that Budweiser in my fridge momentarily.:small3d023:

But in the past....if for some reason, I wanted to roll a few feet to move.....I pulled in the clutch and legged it a few feet without going into nuetral.

I'll be back in a few.......maybe with brew in hand.:D

Great thought Fin I didn't think to ask if the bike was running.

Until i get a wee bit more info my head is saying gear linkage is wrong or bike needs to rocked a wee bit to get that initial gear change as all the bits in the gearbox may be tight in 1 direction and just need loosened off

Brian

ok ok...I fibbed a tad. The weather is too nice, I'm passing on the Budweiser and riding tonight. But a tad embarassed, i didnt try what ya'll said first.

So I buttoned her up, I cleared the driveway of cars. started her up in Nuetral........slapped her into first gear and she lurched out. about 50 feet out, I grabbed the clutch, no change.......about 150 ft out, grabbed the clutch, she kicked in.....smoooooth shifting.

Took her around the block ( a big one )....all is well.

Thanks for ya'lls attention and input. Yet again, I'm a tad smerter than I were this mornin' being on here.:D

PS - That easy clutch adjustment on this site. Even if you arent having problems, try it.......wow.....smoooooth shifting

Ya'll have a great weekend, be safe, hug your kids.

Great to hear that it is all working ok now
A point for the future it often helps the clutch to release if the clutch leaver is held in for a wee while up to 30 sec to allow the oil to be thrown clear of the clutch plates by the centrifugal force of the clutch spinning
the oil helps the clutch plates stick together by creating a suction film around each of the friction pads in the same manner as licking a rubber sucker before sticking it on a window

Brian

I have NEVER had any good results from "that" posted Method of clutch adjustment....

Many who have done it come out with a Glitch JUST Like this one...

TRY BUBBIE'S Clutch adjustment method (very similar to HD's)...

Glider and I went around about this and He admitted,,,, Many had problems doing it this way (his method).:rofl

Link to it is here:

Harley Davidson Community

hope this helps..

signed....BUBBIE

Clarification........I didnt use the allen wrench or pull in the clutch handle when adjusting......if i recall, it was the Bubbie method. I read a few variations.

rode all day today with the Momma today. No issues. need to maybe adjust the cable just as a preference thing.

Back