free website stats program I'm stumped with my clutch. 03 RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm stumped with my clutch. 03 RKC

Amish Hawg

Contributor
03, RKC. Towed the bike up to an indy to replace the seals on my mainshaft yesterday. I had it taken apart already. I brought it back home, re-assembled, threw the clucth pack in, pressure plate went in fine. no problems

I went to put her in nuetral and my clutch isnt working. The clutch handle has pressure and I see the clucth pack moving when i squeeze the handle.

I went in and did the ez clutch adjustment process that I saw on here a few times ( just to make sure ) . Still........My clutch isnt engaging.

what am i missing here? Its ridin time tomorrow. any help would be appreciated.

Frozen clutch? i think I saw something about that before here before.

First do you have a manual? Second I'm not sure why you would take the clutch assembly apart to remove the inner primary case. Third did you get the ball bearing back in the shift rod assembly?

I am a wee bit confused on the clutch is not working but is it that it will not disengage drive will not transmit drive or is that you can not change gear

Brian

The clutch worked before right? It is possible as don mentioned the balls on the release mechanism have fallen out of place, if that is the case you will need to remove the side cover

Yep, I live in the manual ( ha ). I had a primary leak that turned out to be the 5th gear seal, main seal......the seals behind the race. I found them with the infamous oil dye. It was tranny fluid leaking.

Rather than buying the Inner Race remover, the indy did it for a 12 pack and 100bucks. Changed the fluids and replaced the seals

I didnt take the clutch apart.....just pulled the complete assembly off the mainshaft along with the primary chain and such. the push rod, pressure plate and clutch assembly is all there was and retaining ring of course. Exactly like last time

The bearing for the shift rod assembly. Not ringing a bell and Im not seeing anything like that in the manual. Would the Indy have seen that or would I have?

Im sitting here looking at it now....I pull the clutch handle, I see it moving. I re-adjusted, no difference. and it doesnt feel any different as before.

I think I'm missing something right in front of me. Unless of course the Indy missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I live in the manual ( ha ). I had a primary leak that turned out to be the 5th gear seal, main seal......the seals behind the race. I found them with the infamous oil dye. It was tranny fluid leaking.

Rather than buying the Inner Race remover, the indy did it for a 12 pack and 100bucks. Changed the fluids and replaced the seals

I didnt take the clutch apart.....just pulled the complete assembly off the mainshaft along with the primary chain and such. the push rod, pressure plate and clutch assembly is all there was and retaining ring of course. Exactly like last time

The bearing for the shift rod assembly. Not ringing a bell and Im not seeing anything like that in the manual. Would the Indy have seen that or would I have?

Im sitting here looking at it now....I pull the clutch handle, I see it moving. I re-adjusted, no difference. and it doesnt feel any different as before.

I think I'm missing something right in front of me. Unless of course the Indy pulled a brain fart.

How much free travel do you have? Cold engine, start over with adjustment one more time, slacken cable adjust center push rod, Etc

sorry, a few more responses came in while i was typing.

Yes, it worked fine before.....Wednesday . The leak was just bugging me.....6 drops a day.

Now, lets say I am in first gear and I want to hit nuetral. I pull in the clutch....no response. Its as if Im not pulling the clutch in at all....but yet, with the cover off, I see the basket moving when I pull the handle.

Maybe I'm not understanding but the basket should not move. The plates inside the basket should move. Could it be that you did not get the assembly all the way back on?

I am still confused as to what the problem is if the clutch is not working and you are in first and want to go into neutral if the engine is running the bike will be moving if the engine is not running you do not need the clutch to change gear
to get the clutch to properly disengage the engine needs to be running to spin the clutch to throw the oil clear of the plates

Brian

Great thought Fin I didn't think to ask if the bike was running.

Back