free website stats program I'm ready to give HD the big adios... | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm ready to give HD the big adios...

I am anxious to hear the results of the evaluation by the MOCO. It apears they have an obligation to correct a bad design or improper manufacturing process. Keep us posted.
Herr

Sorry to see your having problems........but before you give "HD the big adios" consider a few things........
When you set off on a long rode trip, are you gonna be one of those guys who hasta change your oil in the Hotel parking lot cuz there ain't no dealer in the town your staying in? I might be a little off when I say there's at least one HD repair shop in just about every po-dunk town in the US, but there's probobly one close.
What happens when/if something breaks? Do the parts gotta come from Japan or Belgum? How long does that take, how many of the model your pickin are on the road and does the Dealer or anyone else stock parts??? Those things "never" break down do they? Why would anyone have parts? How much would it cost ya ta ship your bike from Kansas to say California and fly home to pick it up? What would that do to your "vacation"?.
What happens if your bike don't quite fit ya? Can you get parts to change your foot position, how bout your handlebars or your seat? Last time I checked JC Whitney was the biggest supplier for aftermarket Honda parts and they only got a few pages of cheap lookin stuff.
I understand your frustration but HD cranks out a lot of bikes every year and most of us are satified with em, ya they got some problems, so does Toyota.
Good luck with your new bike whatever you choose.

I think most of us can agree if we have a problem with our bike, we don't abandon the brand. However, it's how the problem is resolved that can make or break if we continue to stay with the brand or not. At times, the dealers are kinda stuck because the factory isn't going to authorize payment for every tear down to investigate a possible bad crank, even when it's a known issue.

So, it's left to the customer to bark and jump through more hoops to force HD Head Office to play the savior and give the dealership authorization.

Make no mistake, this isn't unique to HD. Other brands have similar stories like this.

And many, many times, they are all managed just fine. But, it's these few incidents that really hurt the brand itself. The dealer dismisses it as nothing wrong.

I wouldn't expect the OP to keep loyal to HD after the experience they have. No amount of positive feedback or suggestions to escalate higher will sway their opinion. They have a problem through no fault of their own and they are getting the run around.

Problems happen every day. It's how they are resolved that can retain or lose a customer.

I hope we her back on the outcome on this. I also hope HD does the right thing too.

A little late to the party.........

I will first preface my comment be saying since 1980 I have owned 11 Harley Davidson's. I am saying this just to show I like the marque but (always a but) I feel for this guy that has the dealer basically turning the other way.

I have read all the above responses and the first thing that comes to mind is, would any of us put up with this service from any of the car manufactures. I don't expect perfection from my car but I would be looking for a different auto manufacture after thinking of the times I have had to do battle with my HD dealer. When shopping for a car (in my case a truck) I do have expectations when it comes time for a dealer to perform. I don't have to worry as I am going to the dealer whether they are going to tell me "they all do that". I expect the dealer to do what ever it takes for my to be completely satisfied, and I can't think of a time when that was not the case.

One other case in point, I have a 2009 Road Glide that has had brake problems, first; one of the front rotors was warped, the dealer took care of that, the second issue is the rear caliper started leaking, the dealer is in the process of taking care of that. In both cases the dealer had to order the part from Milwaukee. In both cases the part took over a week to be delivered to the dealer. I also ride BMW's and when ever there is a part the dealer does not have the manufacture over nights that part to the dealer. I know one would call this trivial but arguably you are talking about two "high end" motorcycle manufactures, both selling for considerably more money than its competition, each dealing with a problem two different ways.

Again I feel for this guy, I have been there and it is sad to have to worry about being take in care of when we need the manufacture to take care of us, and to say well that is just something we have to live with because we bought and ride Harley Davidsons is (EDIT) I still ride Harley's, and because of that maybe I am part of the cause. The MOCO is relying on this loyalty they have developed and for their sake it better continue.........Bob

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The company should stand behind it's product for sure. But can I say something nice about the MOCO just to brighten up the mood a little?

I had the the 10K service done at Phil Peterson's North Miami dealership. (because I had gotten a great deal on prepaid maintenance through 10K when I bought the bike). While looking over the bike the service rep told me they were going to replace my front tire because it was under a recall and he saw evidence of cupping. Tire looked ok to me but what do I know? Cool free tire!

3rd day of our solo trip to Sturgis and my horn had died after going through long period of moderate rain south of Valdosta GA. Bike still under warranty and Oxford, AL was right next to my hotel for the night so brought the bike into the HD dealership the next morning to see if they could take a look at it. They emptied the water out of it and had me ready to go in 15 minutes. Free coffee while I waited.

Coming back from Sturgis day 17 brought bike around to Dale's HD of Mount Vernon, IL in the morning to see if they could squeeze me in for 15K service. They did and I was ready to go just a couple of hours later.

Got home safe and sound on day 23. This week took bike to Bruce Rossmeyer's Sunrise HD for warranty work as trip meter switch failed during heavy, no kidding really HEAVY rain south of Nashville TN and tour pak locking mechanism failed during the trip. They're fixing it now.

In short I just finished a major cross country journey and at each step of they way was comforted knowing I had a support network to keep me out of trouble. That's worth something isn't it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On second thought maybe my last post didn't really contribute anything to this thread but you know what? This trip was the longest, greatest, motorcycle adventure of my life and I'm still jazzed talking about it. Just be glad you don't have to work with me! ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with a noisy engine brought these comments from the dealer and the MOCO. Since I don't live where I bought my 2005 RoadGlide, I took it to local dealer, he agreed the engine was noisy. I had purchased an extended warranty from the selling dealer. A call to them said, they couldn't do anything for me because the MOCO said the engines modifications (made by the selling dealer before delivery of the RG to me) voided the warranty due to the cross flag parts. Calls and many letters to every official at the MOCO brought no assistance at all. The MOCO says they can not tell any dealer to do anything, they are merely agents selling their product. To make a long story short, the MOCO agreed to pay for all the parts necessary to fix my engine, but I was stuck with a $600 bill to pay for labor. I spent $950 for a warranty which shouldn't have been sold to me in the first place, if it wasn't going to cover the parts. Good luck getting yours fixed, and hopefully you wont go to the Victory brand. Regardless of my troubles I still ride both my Glides, the 2005 and a 1998 Anniversary model.

Back