free website stats program I'm ready to give HD the big adios... | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm ready to give HD the big adios...

For us new HD owners..how does this actually work here, when calling the MoCo. You took it to the dealer, they say NTF - they all do that. You call the MoCo and they say yes you may have a problem.

The dealer has already said they won't look at it. So does the MoCo have to call the dealer and say when the customer brings their bike in next time - work on it?

I recently experienced a service conflict on my '08 EG with a SoCal HD dealer. The dealer refused to discuss a warranty issue. I phoned the MoCo the same day and within 10 minutes during that call, the MoCo Rep initiated a three-way phone conversation with me, the Rep and the dealership service manager (same guy who had refused to discuss in person). The Rep listened to both sides, ruled in my favor, and authorized the warranty work which was for a warped front rotor.

The work was completed correctly and to my complete satisfaction, although the service manager suggested I look elsewhere for my future services.

srf52, Did you immediately call MOCO back and tell them what the service idiot just told you? Have the service idiot tell that to you with MOCO on the phone. If I was the owner of that HD dealership he would be fired on the spot.
wilks3

Naw, I let it go. I figured he might have been having one of those days. I was glad to get the OK from the MoCo and have the work done. I do my own maintenance now, but for future warranty work, I'll use a different dealership.

Here lately the words HARLEY DAVIDSON and POOR DESIGN seem to be showing up alot in the same posts? :bigsmiley22:

Here lately the words HARLEY DAVIDSON and POOR DESIGN seem to be showing up alot in the same posts? :bigsmiley22:

It really isn't anything new. This kind of customer abuse has been associated with HD for a long time. A lot depends upon the dealership. Some are more receptive to giving service than others are. We are not asking for anything extroidinary here. Just to fix things after the bike is purchased that do not work. That is not a hard concept to grasp. The problem appears to be that the MOCO and some of it's dealers do not want to do that. They are quick to take your money but they do not like to warrant things. As far as I know they don't have any warranty on the chrome accessories and parts they sell. Folks who have put up with this behavior for years just shrug their shoulders and smile. Others who are new to Harley ownership are not so easily appeased. When they have something that does not work, they want it fixed, and not at their expense. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get a warranty claim through the MOCO. The dealer might be willing to do it but ultimately they have to get most things approved before the factory will ship the parts and agree to pay the labor. The 24 month warranty is not very good because there are just too many things that are excluded as "wear items". I think this behavior will come back to bite them in the haunches. I am like the original poster. I will look long and hard at competing motorcycles in a year or so when I am ready to replace mine. For me the cost of ownership will be a big consideration when I trade. Traditionally, manufacturers who are sloppy, never clean up their act. They either get the message and see the light, or they don't. I don't have great expectations that the MOCO will clean up their act any time soon. They have a long, long history of being behind the engineering curve by about 20-30 years and are slow as molasses in the winter time when it comes to change. I would love to know how many years they were prepping for the introduction of the 2009 bikes. You would think that after going through the AMF fiasco they would not be so quick to forget how that played out. In the meantime, for any riders out there who are pleased with the service they get, keep buying those bikes.

Not necessarily "Poor" design in some cases, but dated design or cost effective design alternatives do take their toll...after all, they HAVE had over 30 years to get the V-Twin angle down pat, most R&D cycles are 4-5 year events, the final product being the best compromise the MOCO can muster, based on sales, marketing, bean counters, shareholders and a bit of Corporate management (or mis...). Certainly there has been an infusion of much needed technology to keep pace, but if you had a patented design and clients that will beat you up if you do one thing that breaks the linkage to tradition for better or worse, something will suffer. The buying public has changed tastes, yet their marketing is only now turning the corner on trying to cater it to those potential buyers, hopefully not too late.

Guys....Thanks for all your help and input. It seems that I've hit a chord with a lot of other dissatisfied Harley owners out there. After reading all this feedback, I will call Harley Customer Service next and try to get the ball rolling. Frankly, barring a "miracle" response from Harley, I'm going to look very closely at other makes the next time around. I will miss the Harley Brotherhood (especially you guys), but I demand more quality for my money than I got this time. And I'm not so sure I want to roll the dice and take my chances again with this brand (even though I LOVE their bikes - when they work).

From the sound of it, to me the OP has made up his mind. Even if the vibration was repaired by the MOCO, when the next problem rolls around, (and there WILL be one) he will once again be disgusted with the HD line of bikes.

Lets face it. A HD is not for everyone. If your looking for drop dead reliability or perfection, your in the wrong place. It is not that kind of product.
BTW - This is my SECOND Harley, so I don't think you can call me a "fair weather fan" of the brand. I also talked 2 people into getting Harleys. One of them is on her second Harley. Just so you all know my heart is in the right place, but my wallet isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys....Thanks for all your help and input. It seems that I've hit a chord with a lot of other dissatisfied Harley owners out there.

I would say this is do the the phenomena of bad news traveling exponentially faster than good news... For every person who has had a bad experience, there is probably 50 who have had a great experience...but you don't hear about it.

Give MOCO a chance to resolve the problem.

You're right on WildThang. I've been a Harley man since 1972. Bought my first new one in 2008. ( last one was a 1977 FXE 1200. Rode the wheels off the FXSTC 25,350 in just 2 Upstate New York seasons...Yesterday I closed a deal on my first Touring model a 2010 FLHX Street glide. For every little complaint I may have had through my Seven Harleys...there have been millions of enjoyable ones....Like have you ever found yourself smiling while riding and realize you are just enjoying the heck out of the experience ?

Back