free website stats program I'm ready to give HD the big adios... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm ready to give HD the big adios...

I'm sure there are some lawyers that ride HDs, maybe start gathering info on this crank run-out problem and start a class action lawsuit against MOCO. Sometimes the mere mention will get the "now wait a minute here".
Just think'n out loud.
wilks3

Oh yes, I have no doubt it could be done. I can cite several examples where Americans have built almost error free pieces of machinery. The problem is we can not do it inexpensively.

You want a mass produced product that is used in an uncontrolled environment of temperature and dampness, new models and changes each and every year, with no supervised form of maintenance to be error free and on top of that, make it affordable. That's a tall order.

I`m sure I`m going to get some heat on this one but the Japanese guys seem to be able to deliver that kind of guarantee, if you take the honda v-tec car engine for an example, they are still waiting for the 1st one to come back with a defect...

Lately HD was suprisingly on top of the reliability scale in motorcycle world as they rode several brands for 50.000 km without imbetween services, and the RoadKing came out as the only one who really made it!

But back on toppic..

I think a HD IS a premium product, especially if you look at the price. Therefore, I think it is perfectly acceptable to expect it to function properly. And I think (hope) most of us agree that it does.

It is my understanding that this is another case of a dealer who is trying to short change a repair because it might be too expensive, too much work, they are under-skilled, or just hoping the problem will go away (which it seems he wasn`t that wrong about, since we have someone here who is willing to give up his 18k investment over lack of support, understandably in this occasion as well)

But I`m still silently hoping that the manufacturer, when contacted and explained the situation will help our guy here. It doesn`t take much to get a smile on someone`s face again, by the way, if they have any sense of marketing and he would say he`s part of a 39000 strong internet community that know about his woes who all share the idea that lots of end dealers are having low standards on customer relations, I would be surprised when they would tell him "they all do that"..

WOW!!! :worthy You all are making some very good point's...... Too bad HD doesn't follow this website and other social media, cause maybe they would realize that there are alot of owners out there not happy about things...... Maybe someday they will get a clue..:newsmile100:

Seriously though, I am starting to wonder about this, I just had my front motor mount changed.....It was also changed about 6 months ago, and at least one other time that I can think of..:34:...It was changed about 2 weeks ago, and when I picked it up, I couldn't believe I was on MY bike, it was so smooth.....but it's starting to vibrate again.....not too bad, but definitely not as smooth as the day I picked it up a few weeks ago.....I'm going to swing by there soon and talk to them again....Think it's time to get the service manager involved with this and a few others, the service adviser even stated to me when I picked it up, that "it was just changed like 6 months ago, that's kinda funny"... didn't really click with me at the moment. (I was excited to get my bike back, and surprised it only took them 2 days to change the mount and replace my fuel filter and fuel line that rubbed in tank and got holes which they didn't even have a fuel filter kit in stock!:34:) I work on airplanes, and when something breaks that was just replaced a short time ago, there is usually something causing that part to break prematurely, maybe it should be investigated. (my extended warranty states, unless I break down more than 100 miles or something from the house, I have to take it to this dealer, if I am further than 100 miles, I have to call and find out where to take it....) I know thing's break, but........

Just my 2 cent's and experience....

I have been down this road with the 07 RK SE 110 engine that had a bad design from the get go. The 110 had a heat problem so the cylinder sleeve would break lose and start to migrate up a little causing the seal to fail and wa-la an oil leak mostly in the rear cylinder. Motor Co. fix put a thicker seal in. NO WAY am I going though this again by the way they will give you 90 day warranty with this half fix seal repair. Thanks to the info from this site and on my dime I ordered new Axtell cylinders’ and pistons had the dealer install them with the labor that was to be used on the gasket repair 5.50 hrs and no more worries. Some times the fix is plain to see but the dollars are the problem. Should we have to pay for the poor design? I don't think so but my life is too short to drag this on and on. I want to ride this bike because that is what does it for me. Just my 2 cents well really a lot more than that but good luck and try to make yourself happy and ride what you want because it makes you smile.:D

I try to temper the thought of "leaving HD" with soime of the other posts....many people come here when they have problems, big or small.

I like the look and the style. Always have.

Is it a catch-22: Where the MOCO is riding the loyalty with its' faithful followers? I mean, if there really are significant issues, and we HD enthusiats tolerate it, why would you think that it would not continue?

I am betting that HD and the dealers will change some or die in this economy. They rode a huge expansion and spending spree. Now things are cutting back and shrinking. I don't know if the MOCO will be impacted as much or at least at first, but I would think that dealers who want to stay open are going to make it a personal operation if they truly want to stay in business. The dealers who go into this for simple franchise investment will likely close.

Go with Victory if you want potentially better service from that dealer but as to whether you will or will not get a bike off the line that is a lemon or has other issues, you will likely never know...with any brand.

It is so frustrating though... you just want it fixed, and fixed right. Plus, to me it seems something like the press/fit shaft is such a part of the HEART of the motor, it seems insane that HD would go cheap there. But then I go back to a quote form Smitty (I believe): HD's are not investments...they are luxuries......

Agreed 100% that all HD should be required or expected to stand behind is stock motors. If we modify the engine, than we should assume the responsibility.

I Don't agree with that statement ! The 96" motor & the 103" motor are both made by the MOCO using the same cranks along with the other parts . The 103" has been in the police bikes and are a standard motor in the trike , also the MOCO offers a 103" upgrade using all HD parts . What is the difference between the MOCO making a 103" motor & the HD dealer installing the big bore kit offered through the MOCO , it is the same except for the cams . If you have a big bore kit installed by a HD dealer using all the parts from HD then the MOCO should stand behind the parts & labor .

If you have a big bore kit installed by a HD dealer using all the parts from HD then the MOCO should stand behind the parts & labor .

No body said they wouldn't stand behind it. If an HD Dealership installed HD parts, I am sure they would.

No body said they wouldn't stand behind it. If an HD Dealership installed HD parts, I am sure they would.

If a H D dealer does the work it is covered check your paper work, if in doubt ask before the work is done and get it in writting this becomes legal and binding:D

+1
MOCO has to realize we are willing to support them as a result of history and respect for the company. We even agree to pay more than we should to them to support them. To say we should not expect the best product in the world while paying the most in the world is wrong. We pay more to support American jobs and a legend, the history. They have to hold up their part as well. If they expect a premium from us then we should expect nothing less from them. Anyone can make a mistake and I understand that. But we have been put on the back burner in the name of corporate shareholders. If we are willing to help them by paying a nearly rediculous price for their product, they should not even hesistate to fix obvious manufacture defects. This is an ongoing thing. Soon, they will be the victom of death from greed. I love my HD, but I am not stupid. I will support them as long as they respect us back. When they are full aware of a problem such as the crank run out, then fix it. When a brother has to fight for what is right, they are no longer the MOCO, they become just like the rest and will not deserve or get my respect or support. The next generation will not have the loyalty they are eroding. If they are looking no further than their nose, they have a short future as well. We pay a premium to help them survive, they can at least support us when they make a mistake. If not....well then....see ya in the history books. JMHO.
walleye, You "hit the nail EXACTLY on the head !!!!! That says it all !!!! Ride safe & keep it tire side down ! Later, Hi-Tek rednek

Back