free website stats program I'm making my dream come true! Los Angeles HD rentals - need for advice | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm making my dream come true! Los Angeles HD rentals - need for advice

lunak

Hi,
my name is Lukasz (Poland) and I plan to make my dream the true - come to US, and ride a Harley in California - and I'll be doing that for 7-10days :D. I already bought tickets to LA (I'll be there on 30th of December). Therefore I need your help to be able to:
- pick a motorbike - need your recommendation,
- pick a rental-place - also need your recommendation.

then I'll need to pick a road trip, but that I mention in separate thread.

My requirement for motorbike:
- Harley-Davidson :)
- saddle bags
- nice-to-have: audio input or/and CD, with speakers
- nice-to-have: GPS navigation system, although using paper maps can be internesting
- nice-to-have: 12v power plug
- reasonable price

I don't have any experience with HD; so - it should be good good for first-time-HD-user. I previously had "tourist" class Yamaha TDM 850.

Insurance: I'd like to have insurance which has good proportion quality/price. Should cover minimum; theft and accidents. Optionally breakdown protection. I think I'll ask in rental-place, but if you have any advice; I'd apprectiate it?

My skype contact is: janopita - please contact me, maybe we can meet for a ride in CA? :)

So - in summary, please recommend me:
- rental place
- HD motorbike model

thank you!
lukasz janowski

best segment of my trip for HD riding, need advice!

Hi,
below is my trip I plan for the end of the year. I can travel part of this route in 'motorhome' with my friends, but as I'm renting HD, I wanted to know what is your opinion about riding this road (or part of this road) on motorbike:

29 Dec: Los Angeles
30 Dec: Los Angeles -> Palm Desert
2 Jan: Palm Desert -> Grand Canyon
4 Jan: Grand Canyon -> Las Vegas
6 Jan: Las Vegas -> Yosemite National Park
7 Jan: Yosemite -> San Francisco
9 Jan: San Francisco -> Los Angeles (4 days in LA)

I can change this route, if I want. But this is the eway my friends go, and therefore my basic plan.

My conclusions/questions for this trip:
1. Grand Canyon - too cold for motorbike and my planned equipment. Is it really? This seems to be the only point on my trip map where I can have problems with weather.
2. what part from my plan would you choose for moto riding? I think about Las Vegas -> San Francisco -> Los Angeles. What do you think?
3. Are there any weather/other surprises I can meet on my route?
4. Are there any organized trips I can be part of? Where can I learn about them?

And - If someone wants to join me on my trip - you're welcome :).

thank you
lukasz

Re: best segment of my trip for HD riding, need advice!

1. The only portion I'm remotely familiar with is up in the Reno, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento area. Not precisely on your route but close. Beautiful riding in Tahoe area and southeast of Sacramento in the "hills" south of Tahoe.

2. The time of year you are going, weather will DEFINITELY be a factor! The deserts can get bone chilling cold, day or night. Higher elevations will be cold and probably a good chance of snow. I love riding but I'd be very tempted to save the rental money and spend some quality time with your pals in the motorhome.

All the "big twins" usually rent for the same price. Just rent an Ultra and be done with it!

Re: best segment of my trip for HD riding, need advice!

Stay off the bike when the roads are wet, but get the heated gear and you'll enjoy the ride even if its only 40 degrees.
Just bring the full coverage helmet for the real cold stuff.

Now I really do NOT know....never been in this situation myself, but fellas, will someone coming to our great country without a USA motorcycle license be able to rent a Harley without too much trouble? Will the rental shop recognize and ultimately approve an over-seas proof of operational ability equivalent to a USA license? Will the insurance company?

Excellent points I hadn't even considered. Better call or contact the dealership you intend to rent from and get some very precise answers to those questions.

so - what portion of the road would be safest as for the weather? How do you feel about
Las Vegas -> San Francisco -> Los Angeles?
or maybe
San Francisco -> Los Angeles?

what temperatures can I expect on my way?

please help me, cause I have to make a decision about rental dates and way.

thank you!
lukasz

I already know that Polish motorcycle license is enough.
lukasz
thank you.
any other answers?

Last edited by a moderator:
what weather can I expect on :

Las Vegas -> San Francisco
San Francisco -> Los Angeles

what do you think about riding in Mexico?

thx,
lukasz

I don't think that you can take a rental bike to Mexico. The insurance will not be valid there and I don't think that you can buy the Mexican insurance for a rental. Also your rental agreement might not allow it.

thanks.
you made me sad about San Francisco, if I can't go there I'd have a problem with my route...
so - your suggestion is to travel LA <-> LV, and not north?

thanks,
lukasz

Back