free website stats program I'm Lost on this one! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm Lost on this one!

If you have OEM Dual fire type ignition, both spark plugs are fired by the same coil at the same time.

Checking primary voltage is not going to help, you already know that the front cylinder is operating normally.

Leave the plug wires connected at the coil, but swap the wires at the spark plug ends. If the problem is still in the rear cylinder, you have eliminated the ignition system as the cause.

If you have OEM Dual fire type ignition, both spark plugs are fired by the same coil at the same time.

Checking primary voltage is not going to help, you already know that the front cylinder is operating normally.

Swap spark plug wires, see if the problem goes to the other cylinder, if it does it means the wire was bad.

If no change, swap the plug wires at the spark plug end only, if the problem goes to the other cylinder, you have a problem at the spark plug wire connection on the ignition coil.

If the problem is still in the rear cylinder, you have eliminated the ignition system as the cause.

Check your mechanical advance behind the Dyna Ign. also. You could have a broken spring or wear problems.
tourbox

Hello, Thank you all for your interest in my problem. I think I've isolated the problem. I did'nt have another electronic ignition to try. But, I had a Breaker points plate, complete with condenser, & points. I had to look in my old Pan head manuals for the points & plugs Gaps.
I put the points in & set them @ 0.20. Next, set the plugs @ 0.30. Runs like a Dream!
Apparently, there seems to be some kind of secondary voltage drop thru the Dyna S ignition dual-fire system.
Oh, I had been also been running a # 50 primary jet in my modified CV carb. So I went back to a # 48.
So, not sure what to do now. Continue running the breaker points, or go to a more modern ignition system. I've had experience with Dyna, & Ultima(Dyna). Anybody have good luck with Screaming Eagle Systems?
Thanks, Doug

ds242403.jpg

I have seen lots of bad luck with Dyna systems, points and condensers may be old fashioned but carrying a spare condenser and points set will keep you down the road, plus the trouble shooting is a lot easier IMO, your ride you decide, keep in mind as the points wear it changes your dwell and timing
The picture is a set of Blue Streak points, the best money can buy, shop around, Napa used to carry them @ a good price American made also

I run the Dyna DS6-1 dual fire Ign. in both my Hard Tail & '73 Shovel. Haven't had any problems with either. However I do carry a Points set in my tool bag just in case. It 's pre-marked for timing, so I can just throw it in , align marks, and down the road.
tourbox

Back