I'm looking for a little carrying box.

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by The Tourist, Sep 4, 2011.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I've been trying to find a little box, similar to the old tool box, but rectangular.

In my job, I need to carry smaller items, and it needs to lock. I do have a larger ballistic nylon carrier with a solid inner lining. Fitted to my detachable rack it not only sticks way out to each side, but it's a pain to throw your leg o'er.

I'm looking for a chromed, lockable box a tad smaller than a jewelry box. More flat than wide. Once locked, I want it firmly affixed to the rack, and I have strips of live rubber I can cannibalize for cushion between the box and the rack.

Ideally, you wouldn't notice the thing if you walked by the bike.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Stash tube Not a box but a pretty neat stash tube:s

3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

They are very nice, and I considered getting Harley's version.

The problem is that I do not think they lock. At least I'm not sure. I'll do some research on the security.

(BTW, I like the one with the 'skull' cover. My little Sportster is trimmed in skulls so I could use the skull gas cap. It's shape offers me grip and leverage to twist it off. I think the EFI system creates a partial vacuum in my bike. A fully smooth round gas cap is a bear to get off on a hot day.)

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

I would say your looking for a "tray" mount UNDER your tail rack from your description...you would slide out the lockable box to access stuff inside without dumping contents. Do you have the dimensions...? I would go to places like Harbor Freight if your looking metal "cashbox" profile or similar for price and selection...maybe sports shops and such. :newsmile082:

5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

The space between the bottom of my rack and that fender is only about the width of a finger near the rear seat mounting screw. Added to that, it's more of a "sport rack." Perhaps 8 inches wide at the extreme.

I do have the detachable fender mounting system. I'm wondering if I should buy their cheapest sissy bar, and perhaps one of their small rear mounted pouches. I suppose I could add some form of lock.

All in all, I'm not really impressed with these items designed for a Sportster with a side-mount license plate bracket.