free website stats program I'm Concerned | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm Concerned

I guess you've got the idea now. Yes at times most everyone gets those feelings. Sometimes something tells me "take the truck" so that's what I do. One thing you might try, if you are feeling less confident is to take an experienced rider course. Or at the least get one of the videos for experienced riders. Watch then find an unused parking lot and practice. I got the Ride Like a Pro DVD last year and it helped improve my confidence and ability.

Age can be an issue, but it doesn't have to be. The oldest rider at Americade this year was in his 80s. I plan on getting that distinction one day, but I've got at least 20 years to go.

I don't know why, but in the early part of this year, I was kind of spooked myself. I have only been riding 4 years now, so I assumed it was a lot of my inexperience kicking in. I would still go out, but with extra caution. I never seemed to worry quite as much when I was with my husband, but we didn't get to ride much together this year. I think that may have been a part of my fear, always being by myself.

I must say that this turned out to be my best year on the bike ever. (Though I have only had it 4 years now) Last summer was the best for me. I actually got less miles in than I have since I got the bike, but it seems that I really enjoyed each mile more than I ever did.

Best of luck to you, maybe a break will do you good. I hope you can work it out and keep the enjoyment factor. I know I am glad that I did this year. I was really spooked early on for no reason. I hope it works out for you and you make the right choice for you. I'm waiting to see what next year brings for me on the Harley, but in the mean time, I am going to try to use my dual sport to hopefully bring some of my mountain bike skills over to a 250 lb. motorcycle on the trails.

That opens up a new can of fear for me. :D

Use your cage for the commute and save the bike for times when you can place yourself in safer more comfortable and fun riding situations even though they may occur less often. Only you know your limitations. If you sell it to soon you'll regret it but my guess is we all have to eventually give it up if we live long enough. stay safe and Best wishes.

Great advice. I'm 58 and can't imagine not riding but realize there are far fewer riding years ahead than behind. Just put my Ultra in storage completing my 40th riding season. Always say a little prayer thanking the big guy for keeping me safe for another season. One of these springs I will roll the bike out for the first ride and not have that excitement in the pit of my stomach that I've had for 40 years. I hope I know then it's time to walk away.

As of this post I view that as going to be one very sad day. Will have to remind myself of the many many wonderful miles I have enjoyed and move on.

Whatever decision you make, whenever you make it, stay safe.

Been riding about 25 yrs. I have somethings i want to get off my chest.
I ride electra glides with the spotlights on all the time { except hi beams of course} . Point is the bike is lit up front and back , not cause i think its pretty but because i want/ need to be seen for safety sakes. I have came to intersections and made eye contact with ncager , yet they will still pull on out , i have chased these idiots down and got off to approach them. Strange thing is , now i am a criminal . Not cause im interupting there texting or phone call, but because i have road rage. And yes it is rage , after all someone due to carelessness almost ruined my life . I have contacted the police and was told that unless contact was made they couldnt do much about it. If they almost get hit by a vehicle they are allowed to defend themselves . Sometimes with deadly force if they feel endangered. What can we do?
It used to be that a good rider was able to handle there bike really well
now to be a good rider you need to be a mind reader as well. Cell phones /texting while operating a motorvehicle should have the same penalties as d.u.i. In my opinion. Maybe thats a start.
Thanks fo letting me babble. I could go on for hours of what i would like to do to someone who is on the phone cuts me off then flies me the bird when i react. Ok. Ill shut up now. Again thanks for listening.

Do the same thing every day on my dresser , esp. When wifes on the back.
I love 100 mph. Wheelies on a full dressed half ton harley. Really though it almost reminds me of my very first riding exp. On a honda 50 when i was 10.

I think having those thoughts is healthy. It keeps you thinking that life is unpredictable and riding is an actvity that keeps you feeling young. I had a friend my age, 53 tell me I was to old to have a Harley...her husband came down with bacterial menigitus caught from a bug and he is touch and go if he will make it. When it's your time..... it's out of your control.
Hap

Hello Gang

I have been riding since my late teens over 40 years and lately I have been thinking of hanging it up I just woke up one day and I found myself questioning the reason why I should get on the bike and fight the crazies out there in their cages It is getting dangerous I recently turned 60 and commute 50 miles Round trip daily on my bike to work

Has anyone else felt this way

Ride safe
BuffaloBILL

Hey Gang

Thanks for the support It is really appreciated. All your posts made a lot of sense. A couple really hit home. Many years ago I really enjoyed the "leisure" riding aspects when I got my 1st "New" bike a 1973" Norton Commando. but in 2003 I purchased a 03 RKC I loved riding so much that I strated to use it to commutie to work on a daily basis and that is the way it has been till now buying new Harley's every other year. But I found myself parking the Scoot on Friday after work and not getting back on till Monday morning. I forgot what riding is all about "Riding" for the love of it not because you have too.

Thanks again for the advice I have made the decision to Ride my Harley for enjoyment as this is what my original intention was.

Thanks again to all and may everyone have a Merry Christmas and ride safe
BuffaloBILL

Thanks again for the advice I have made the decision to Ride my Harley for enjoyment as this is what my original intention was.

We're about the same age. I've been in industrial sales my whole career. When I see bikes parked outside a customer I've always wondered what it would be like to ride to and from work. I can understand the desire to ride and those instances where alternative transportaion might not be available but I've always been of the opinion the commuting thing wouldn't work for me.

Stay in touch and let us know how things work out. I'm turning 60 in the near future and plan on giving myself a new Ultra as a birthday present.

Stay safe.

Back