free website stats program I'm Concerned | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm Concerned

I am in my 50's and like so many here, I have gone out on the bike and something just didnt feel right ,, so I came home, there should be no shame in this, we have a love that many only wish they had, and as you all know theres just something about an early morning ride, the fresh air, the peace, man life is just to short, and the simple fact is at any given time we could leave this earth... But the time here was fun............ TIm

We have all had those thoughts from time to time, be it bikes,airplanes and gliders in my case,skydiving,scuba,race cars or whatever.
I personaly think you don't check out till it's your time. With all the stupid stuff I have done over the years if it was going to happen, it would have long ago.
As for safety, the bright vest,Oshram bulb,and a headlight modulator, (yes I know a lot of guys don't lke them), but anything to make the cagers take notice helps.
And use your years of experience to ride smart.
An old test pilot, Gen. Ben Kelsey, once told me "the superior pilot uses his superior judgment, so he never has to use his superior skills", good advice for what ever crazy hobbies we have....and he was the first man to fly the P-38, the F22 of its day, and a bunch of other stuff, he died in his own bed at about 86 years ,quietly one night...........

BuffaloBill, as long as you are not questioning your reflexes or judgment, I think it is healthy to reflect on your reason for being on two wheels. Like most who have commented on this post I ride because I can't see myself not riding. As far as it being more dangerous now I agree there are more things to distract the cagers than when I started riding and there are more cages on the road now. I've been riding for almost 50years and I still find that if I ride like I'm invisable and ride not in the moment but before the moment I feel as safe as I ever have. Do yourself a favor and take one of the motorcycle safety courses and refresh your mind on the things that you should be doing. Take a long ride in the country and then ask yourself if you still want to give it up.

63, got back into riding a couple of years ago after a long absence. Biggest question I asked myself was, "what took so long to get back?" If your having fun, never quit. If your not, take a break and think about it.

Use your cage for the commute and save the bike for times when you can place yourself in safer more comfortable and fun riding situations even though they may occur less often. Only you know your limitations. If you sell it to soon you'll regret it but my guess is we all have to eventually give it up if we live long enough. stay safe and Best wishes.

Hi! BuffaloBill..No! do Not think that way. Whats the age to do with it? Im not a young one & wouldn't give up. I know what you are thinking! Yes there are plenty of Stupid people out there in Cages etc But!! No way..I was Rear ended back April. Bike had a bit of damage 11.5wks to get it back, Insurance paid for the repair. I was a bit scared/hesitant about facing the traffic again But! No way am I going to give in..I love Riding! I love the Freedom! Peace when out & about on the Bike (except for the idiots on the road) Riding just gives me an inner Peace & a Good uplifting feeling-a smile on the face & a Happy energetic lift.

I think that many of the posts have hit on a very important aspect of why you feel this way, at times.....the commute. There are some very sane, nice folks out there who loose every ounce of sanity during their morning commute. While I enjoy my motorcycles, I have never taken my bike to work. Reason? Too many people, going too fast, with five different things on their minds, balancing a cell phone and a 24oz coffee. I ride to relax. I ride mostly on back roads.

As for the feeling of "dread" every so often, I wouldn't pay it much mind. Happens to all of us. Used to happen to me, every so ofen during my SCUBA diving days. If you can't shake it, just go do something else for a while. Once in a while, we all reflect, actively or passively, on our mortality. All the more reason to live each day the best we know how.....

I think you're right to question your commitment.
If you're not sure ;dont do it.
If you're worried;dont do it.
If you question your mortality,then dont do it.

Riding bikes is intrinsically dangerous and unless your mind is on the job and on the ball,then you're at risk of a fall.

Most people fall in and out of passion with their passions.Some resolve their differences,and some do not.
I've found to maintain mine i limit my exposure to it.I've long since given up commuting by bike.No more clenched teeth or aching jaws.No more getting to work frazzled or angered by senseless,stupid,idiotic and completely moronic car drivers.

Now,when i ride my bikes,it's on MY terms,and it's for my pleasure!And i know that,and it makes each experience that much sweeter.

Have a break.You'll know if you miss riding.Or if you don't.

I'm 61, but when riding my scoot, I seem to lose a bunch of years. I guess if I ever get to the point of not being able to hold up that UC, I'll get it triked.:D

Back