free website stats program I'm Concerned | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm Concerned

I think self-preservation occurs to us all at times. I had such a moment this week after my daughter hit a deer with her car. It took a huge hunk out of her bumper and under door panel looks like a rub board. I could only imagine what that would do to a bike.
The other thing I think,is we lose the joy in riding sometimes.Commuting on a bike is fun,but,can also be a hassle. If it puts to much stress in your life,you forget the joy of riding,and only see the down side.
When these feelings come around,sometimes a little time away from a bike can make you remember why you ride in the first place.Park the bike for awhile,give it/you a rest,the rest will work its self out.

Wish more people rode, less cars on street then. then they would understand our prospective. i dont think of w/ could happen just be attentive & enjoy ridding :newsmile030:

I get those feelings also. Typically, they occur around a couple of curves on the freeway with commuters around me. Sometimes, I'll elect not to ride to work simply because of "feelings".

Don't give into the feelings, just be aware and respect them.

My bike is for pleasure not for work(not pleasure) to many dumb(edit)es on the roads in rush hour for me to ride, I ride back roads mostly, more relaxing, but the way I look at it if I die on my bike I was happy and not suffering, and it beats falling down in the bathtub.:57:

Hello Gang

I have been riding since my late teens over 40 years and lately I have been thinking of hanging it up I just woke up one day and I found myself questioning the reason why I should get on the bike and fight the crazies out there in their cages It is getting dangerous I recently turned 60 and commute 50 miles Round trip daily on my bike to work

Has anyone else felt this way

Ride safe
BuffaloBILL

I been riding since 1959. I'm 64 now and I remember having the same thought. Scared me to death, but then I woke up and realized it was only a dream. People get killed in cars everyday but we still drive. You just got to do what you do. Age has a way of adjusting your behavior on a bike. Besides you been riding this long, I don't think it would be that easy to give up. What you gonna do sit around the house and read a book or something???:bigsmiley28:

BBill, I am 59. I love riding. My wife loves riding with me. We both enjoy riding and going places - to eat or to visit friends. I have had the same feelings you've experienced - we all most likely have. I think like RichardS said - that's normal. You are the one who must ultimately decide IF you are still up to riding. When on a motorcycle, no one else can 'ride/drive' for you. You make the call and never look back. I am positive, that one of these days, if I live long enough, I will 'hang it up' - one more little thing here, well, maybe not so little, -- when He calls, I am ready to meet my maker!

Many people here have offered some very nice advice. We are all friends. If you want to ride - then ride. If you dont - then dont. I listen to that 'still, small voice' in me.

Bill

Bill, watch this vid......do you ride like this fool? (I'm sure the answer is a resounding "NO!")

That video showed EXACTLY WHY some cagers ACT BACK at motorcycles and their riders....

MY COMMENT when i witness such riding:

THEY ARE DEAD AND JUST DON'T SHOW IT YET!!!

I've ridden for 61 yrs on my own (since 5 starting on a doodle-bug) I have seen crazy things and I HAVE DONE some my self...

That u-tube thing JUST REASSURES me of MY commitment to SAFE NORMAL driving...

MANY OTHERS RUIN THIS SPORT FOR THEIR OWN GREED AND SPEED... throwing all safety-caution to the wind

YES they are DEAD and just don't KNOW it YET!

I just talked with wife the other day about THIS riding thing,,, after watching others weaving in and out of traffic, closely resembling the video, YES and ON HARLEYS (big bikes)... They had wheels on the ground but not their souls....

AGREED:
I'M NOT GIVING UP MY RIDING ... IT IS A big BIG PART OF MY LIFE...

I'll try to do my part today AND tomorrow to show ALL others my SAFE RIDING SKILLS and apply EXTRA COURTESY to ALL.......

THANKS RichardS for the video, bUT sadly seen on our highways everyday

signed.... a safer BUBBIE

All good replies I like yours Bubbie, we should not have to compromise because we choose to ride we can only be more aware and practice safer riding skills and protect our image in the public eye, Jack

Bill, watch this vid......do you ride like this fool? (I'm sure the answer is a resounding "NO!")

Look at this, and ask yourself who'll live longer, him or YOU!

YouTube - Crazy bike riders *NoFear. Tyler Kirk

WARNING! This video is rated I, for IDIOT. Be advised that you are about to witness the stupidest thing ever, maybe even stupider than marrying my long-gone ex-wife! (Although NOT as suicidal in behavior!)
Man.............I could only watch a few minutes of THAT!
BuffaloBill, If it's buggin ya..........park the bike for awhile, remember when ya do that it shouldn't be very long before the call hits ya again. If it don't come back then it's time ta clime down and hang up yer spurs.
Don't be thinkn that your too old, or that you've just been lucky. Even the fastest gunslinger slowed down at some point, he started to stay alive using skill rather than speed and a skillful gunfighter knows when to put his guns away.

Man.............I could only watch a few minutes of THAT!
BuffaloBill, If it's buggin ya..........park the bike for awhile, remember when ya do that it shouldn't be very long before the call hits ya again. If it don't come back then it's time ta clime down and hang up yer spurs.
Don't be thinkn that your too old, or that you've just been lucky. Even the fastest gunslinger slowed down at some point, he started to stay alive using skill rather than speed and a skillful gunfighter knows when to put his guns away.

This is good advice, I hope you get this figured out soon and can continue to enjoy riding.

Back