free website stats program I'm a new rider at 65 and need advice on 30,000 mile road king watch outs. :) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm a new rider at 65 and need advice on 30,000 mile road king watch outs. :)

Welcome to the forum! Since joining, I have to say that I have found these folks to be a collection of the nicest, most knowledgeble group that you will meet.

A few years ago, I moved up to a '99 Ultra. When I bought the bike, it had been well maintained ( regular, documented service by a HD dealer), but there were some issues. For me, that was to be expected, as the bike had over 65,000 miles on it. I knew that I would be spending some money to bring the bike back to specs, but that was a trade off I was willing to make, as I got it for a very reasonable price.

First, I will also suggest, as have many forum members, get the HD service manual. Second, you need to check those tensioners. Both the primary and secondary. If you can turn a wrench, it's something you can do. If not, go to a reliable dealer and have them do it.

Lastly, Richard made probably the most important point of all the posts, when he suggested a Rider Ed course. This is not something that you put on your "to do" list; this is something that you get done, and pronto. It will make your rides much more enjoyable, and much safer.

Lastly, I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your HD as I have from mine.

Thanks again for the advice from all that have replied. I didn’t say much about myself in the 1st post. I can do about anything mechanical and have since I was 14. (I didn’t have the money to have things done for me. LOL) I’m not sure if that’s a curse or blessing. It saves a lot of money but it sure gets old at times. I’ve worked on everything from F4’s, race cars to gear drives as big as a truck, so I know I can learn what I need to.
I am totally unfamiliar with this bike but I’m starting to learn. I was hoping it would need less work than riding. Oh well such is life. LOL
One thing that I’ve learned in my years is to ask “the people who know” for what to look for in advice. It looks like I’ve found the right place here to do that.
I will buying a manual today and will check the tensioners 1st. It sounds like they are the most problematic thing to watch.
Is there any thing else that comes to mind I should keep on the list to help prevent those long walks. LOL
Thanks for the advice on the rider safety course. It is good advice. I have no delusions of grandeur of my skills as a rider. I haven’t done the course yet but I did buy a DVD “Ride like a Pro” by Jerry Palladino. It has helped the most so far. I’m a long ways from where I need to be but I’m working on it and I will take the course.
Thanks again for the replies and the welcomes.

TQ did a great write up on this forum about changing the tensioners from the spring units to the newer hyrdaulic ones. Check it out.

The DVD I'm sure is a good one, but the Rider Ed course is a must. Do yourself a favor and take one.

Good luck

my cam chain tenioners went a just about 30k. I had to replace most of the lower end.
new cams, tappets, pump. So get it checked before it get into $$$$$

my cam chain tenioners went a just about 30k. I had to replace most of the lower end.
new cams, tappets, pump. So get it checked before it get into $$$$$

NOW THIS QUOTE ABOVE IS JUST WHAT YOU DON'T WANT

Doing the mechanical yourself as YOU CAN....
I'd pony up about under 500$$ and do the HD KIT CONVERSION.....

It will change out the troubled problems that came with the 1999 and up to 2006 big bikes...

REMEMBER the engines are ALL THE SAME but in different frames.... some carbed and others fuel-injected...

THE KIT would bring YOUR bike UP TO DATE with the 07's and newer....FOR a fraction of the cost I paid on my 2000 years back before they(HD) offered an updated kit... under 500$$ to bring it up to date with the kit today....

NEWER STYLE OIL PUMP.. more OIL volume in (return sump) and MORE VOLUME pumping out thru engine

CAM SUPPORT PLATE.. to use the NEW hydraulic tensioner system getting rid of the troubled shoes used in ALL the pre 07 BIG bikes

BETTER CAM CHAIN.. new smoother run design, last longer and quieter.

TENSIONER FIBER NYLON type- using a hydraulic pusher to self adjust and rid of the bad springs and ceramic designed SHOES pre 07's came with

I would rather spend the LABOR money on the NEW PARTS KIT and do all the work myself....LIKE many on this site DO..

Sounds like you have a great OLDER STYLE bike and by upgrading to the NEW kit, it would be A KEEPER ....... JUST MY WAY!

signed....BUBBIE

Welcome aboard, These guy's on this sight are great! They will save you time and $. And lot's of grief. Ride safe and don't be afraid to ask questions they won't steer you wrong. Good luck.

Back