free website stats program Illegal helmets | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Illegal helmets

I believe the rules in PA are you must wear a DOT helmet until you have had you license for one full year then it's voluntary. Personally I wear a DOT helmet because in the event I do have an accident I would like to still be able to spell my own name afterwards rather than worry about looking "cool".

+1! It's better to walk away in disgust, then ride away in an ambulance.

Many riders here know my opinion about helmets...I agree with Sleddog, why try to skirt the law and end up with something sub-standard? Just find a DOT helmet that fits AND looks good. I have always worn DOT helmets and came across this one purely by accident and quite a bit less than $100 for Carbon Fiber that fits well, light, cool AND compliant and a bargain at my local HD dealer...keep your eyes and mind open, there are good legit deals out there.

HDCarbonFiberHelmet.jpg

I have ridden with a "DOT" approved helmet for years before PA went to your choice, finally. Was questioned once when going through a checkpoint, once they saw the "sticker" they had no problems.
I feel the law is just a money maker for the states anyway. I'm glad we finally overtook the helmet laws in PA.

I know some of you guys don't have to wear helmets by law, but where I live "DOT" is required.My helmet of choice is not DOT approved.Just wondering have any of you ever been ticketed for illegal helmet and how much was it?

It used to be $25.00 plus court costs and you couldn't ride your bike off from the side of the road until you had a DOT helmet in NC years ago. About $50.00 a pop. That was quite a bit on Cpl's pay back then :)

fmvss218 is the federal standard that details what a helmet should be and tests it must pass to receive a DOT sticker

Never had a problem with my non DOT helmet, but I'm thinking about getting one of those carbon fiber DOT helmets.

Back