free website stats program Ignition | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition

I need some help, i have a 1999 FLHTC, this morning when i went to unlock my ignition it wouldn't unlock at all. last night when i locked it for the night i had no problems. need some advice!! thank you!!

Welcome to THE Forum. At the risk of sounding silly, were you using the correct key? I know that I have a key on my ring for my Corbin solo seat to unlock it. However, it doesn't unlock my ignition no matter how hard I try. Conversely the ignition key just wont get that seat off either. Just sayin.

Bodeen

If your fork lock is built into the switch too like the later years, try moving the forks while you unlock it.

yes i am using the right key. i have tried to move the front end around while trying to turn the key and it just won't budge. thanks you for your responce

i live in phoenix az. i didn't even think about that. thank you

thank you for the welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess i may have worded my question or problem wrong?? the problem is the tumbler has either come apart inside or maybe just worn out after 12 years of riding it. can i brake off the knob on top and manually turn out my fork lock? my bike is up at my work place not at my home. thank you for all your kind words of advice!!

If you can get the bike to a locksmith, they may be able to remove just the tumbler section without any further damage.

You have a locksmith right here.
Get some powderd graphite & put a SMALL amount in the lock where the key goes, then insert the key & remove it.DO NOT TURN THE KEY YET. Do this key in & out to spread the graphite around the lock pins. Then gently try to turn the key. If it will not open, add a bit more graphite & do the in & out with the key again. Then try gently to turn the key.

Back