Ignition Wires

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by oiler, Jun 27, 2009.

1. oiler

oiler Active Member

Thinking of changing my ignition wires on my 09 SG. Want to swap them with the Magnum Sterling Chromite wires. Like the way they look but I am not sure on the performance. They say they meet OEM standards. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Attached Files:

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

3. oiler

oiler Active Member

Thanks Glider, I don't think I'm going to chance it.

4. Animal

Animal Active Member

What about S.E. replacement wires?

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

ION sensing is basically detecting the resistance of the wiring...I seem to recall in the HD service manual it gives that value. If those "fancy" wires are using Kevlar/Carbon conductor, try to find out the resistance (Ohms) per foot. If they are within 10-15% there should be no problem. I guess the real question is if the resistance is the same, what advantage are "Exotic" wires? ... if 15kV or so flows in them with an event that only lasts for msecs of time...

ANSWER: not much, so other than "Looking Trick" or "Longevity due to the outside sheath made of Exotic materials (I do question metallic braid or films that conduct electricity), only you can be the judge as to their use and slamming your money on the table.

6. jel123

jel123 Active Member

Look at the spike 10.5 great wires

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

I have the SE on my 08 road king no problems so far about 6k miles on them

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

The SE wires usually will give no problems but just cost more than the standard ones to look pretty. :D

9. B-1B_Guy

B-1B_Guy Junior Member

10. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

AGREE...I put these on my 05 Sportster & you could tell the difference. No more "popping" during decel & picked-up some accel. Should've dyno tested before I sold it so I could supply data...:bigsmiley15: