free website stats program Ignition Wires | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition Wires

oiler

Thinking of changing my ignition wires on my 09 SG. Want to swap them with the Magnum Sterling Chromite wires. Like the way they look but I am not sure on the performance. They say they meet OEM standards. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Attachments

• ignition wires.jpg
    ignition wires.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 15
ION sensing is basically detecting the resistance of the wiring...I seem to recall in the HD service manual it gives that value. If those "fancy" wires are using Kevlar/Carbon conductor, try to find out the resistance (Ohms) per foot. If they are within 10-15% there should be no problem. I guess the real question is if the resistance is the same, what advantage are "Exotic" wires? ... if 15kV or so flows in them with an event that only lasts for msecs of time...

ANSWER: not much, so other than "Looking Trick" or "Longevity due to the outside sheath made of Exotic materials (I do question metallic braid or films that conduct electricity), only you can be the judge as to their use and slamming your money on the table.

The SE wires usually will give no problems but just cost more than the standard ones to look pretty. :D

Back