free website stats program Ignition Timing- how do I know if it is off? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition Timing- how do I know if it is off?

How does it start? do you get any pinging? mine was to advanced and I had spark knock when I would start off from a stop.

You can check it with a Timing Light. On the right side of engine cases,below where the 2 cylinders meet, is a large Allen screw. Remove that. Remove your timing cover, RH side of engine on gear cover. This will expose your Ign. plate. Hook the light to your front spark plug wire and point the light at the hole from the allen screw. Raise RPM's to at 2k., this advances your timing. You should see a Dot in the hole, pretty much centered. If it's not then loosen the 2 stand offs for the timing plate so you can rotate it to center, or within the opening. the Dot. You should see a slot to place a small screw driver to rotate the plate.
The timing plate may still be on with 2 Rivets and will have to be drilled out. They will have to be replaced or get a cover with holes for screws to screw into the stand offs. A service manual will really help you if you don't have one.
tourbox

I just feel like the two exhaust are going at different rates... Not as synchronized as other sportsters I've heard.

I would think if the timing was of by any substantial amount it would be exhibiting other symptoms i.e hard starting, pinging, popping back, poor milage ect. Have you done any mods lately? Maybe a little more info on work done.

I use a timing strobe light and a clear plastic plug in the timing hole at the base of the cylinders
If you try to do dynamic timing without the clear plug oil does get thrown everywhere

Brian

You can check it with a Timing Light. On the right side of engine cases,below where the 2 cylinders meet, is a large Allen screw. Remove that. Remove your timing cover, RH side of engine on gear cover. This will expose your Ign. plate. Hook the light to your front spark plug wire and point the light at the hole from the allen screw. Raise RPM's to at 2k., this advances your timing. You should see a Dot in the hole, pretty much centered. If it's not then loosen the 2 stand offs for the timing plate so you can rotate it to center, or within the opening. the Dot. You should see a slot to place a small screw driver to rotate the plate.
The timing plate may still be on with 2 Rivets and will have to be drilled out. They will have to be replaced or get a cover with holes for screws to screw into the stand offs. A service manual will really help you if you don't have one.
tourbox

Thank you...
For some reason the timing plug in my engine is in the Left side.
I'll have to figure out a timing light and check this out
Thank you again

Thank you...
For some reason the timing plug in my engine is in the Left side.
I'll have to figure out a timing light and check this out
Thank you again

I think Tourbox just made a typo. It's left side. One caution, there will be more than a little oil mist "puffing" (whooshing?) out of the hole as the pistons come down. They make clear plastic plugs that screw into the hole to keep oil out, but I have not had much success seeing the timing mark. What I have done is to clean the timing mark well, then dab some white correction fluid or white paint in the mark and let dry. It improves the visibility, but it is still not easy. Remember that you have to have the rpms up to kick the advance in.

Back