free website stats program Ignition Switch | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition Switch

Re: Harley Ignition Switch Replacement

glider,
tried all 3 suggestions,for 1988 ignition switch, mine mounts on the inner fairing and those will not work with the elic glide one piece tank. will a 1993-95 switch work? and how do I modify the long stud that comes out of the 95 switch to not hit the frame when the handlebars are turning

skibo

It's rather difficult to say without seeing the problem first hand in regards to the 93-95 switch.

on the 91-95 switch, there is a thru stud that comes out of the plastic housing at the bottom around 7/8". this interfers with the frame. can the 7/8" be cut off to make this work
skibo

If it extends past a locking device like a nut and it's just a threaded portion sticking out, I don't see why it can't be removed. Look it over carefully before cutting it off, you may end up trashing the switch.

I have a 91 my question for you is how did you remove the switch I can't get mine out. Everyone keeps sending me stuff on the newer bikes which have a different removal proceedure. I know theyre trying to help but it sounds like you got yours apart. HELP!! and thanks Ray

I have a 91 my question for you is how did you remove the switch I can't get mine out. Everyone keeps sending me stuff on the newer bikes which have a different removal proceedure. I know theyre trying to help but it sounds like you got yours apart. HELP!! and thanks Ray

The above thread/posts are almost 7 yrs. old. I spent a couple hours googling and other searching about your switch removal. Two possibilities I found:
some year touring bike switch removal was like for new bikes, BUT the switch had to be in ACC. position, then little release button pushed, but I think we established you don't have a button. Another item I found said the knob unscrews from the switch assembly (lefty loosey), then lifts out to gain access to the switch assy.
A 24 yr. old threaded part will probably take a lot to break loose. The problem might be if this is NOT the proper method, you will break your switch. I haven't given up yet, but very low on ideas. :newsmile011:

Back