free website stats program Ignition switch swap question | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition switch swap question

The electroplating company removed all the wrinkle black chemically.
Sanding will NOT work.

I am very happy with the results.

Thanks for your reply CDN, and I agree, your dash looks great! Still wondering though, did they do any polishing after removing the paint, before plating or was the surface good enough? I'm asking because the electroplating company I'm going to use doesn't do anything else, just plating...

Thanks for your reply CDN, and I agree, your dash looks great! Still wondering though, did they do any polishing after removing the paint, before plating or was the surface good enough? I'm asking because the electroplating company I'm going to use doesn't do anything else, just plating...

I don't know exactly what they did. Just took off the blk and chromed it. Obviously they polish after they plate.

Tidy bit of work there man.The dash is 08 SE wide glide,new combo clock.What make of switch did you use and by any chance would you have the part no.for dash,i 've searched all over and no joy,cheers.LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES.

Huh?
Who ya talking to?
Man.

Finished my switch install.
Also added the LED 6-shooter gas gauge and gas cap.
Got dash chromed. I moved signals to top triple tree. Internally wired the bars and put on Stainless cables.

Chromed_dash.jpg

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but...
- Is the Ignition switch for the tank console a standard part?
- Did you just make up a bridging sub harness to connect this in?
- How much space is under the new switch?
- Are thre any "marks" eg dimples under the console to help with the location?

Sorry about this but I am very interested in sussing this out more.

Thanks

Neil

It's a total fabrication from step one.
I bought an aftermarket WG style switch off E-Bay. On second thought I should have bought one from HD so that access to keys would not be so problematic.

1. Locate desired position after measuring the switch you have to install.
I used a hole saw on my hand held drill. If you have access to a good drill press that may work better.
2. I had to make up a wiring jumper to work with the new switch config.
3. I used a short piece of black rubber tubing and split it to surround my switch and help keep water from penetrating next to the switch.

See my photo's for a couple tips on my install. I chromed my dash at the same time.
plate_mount.jpg

2inch_hole.jpg

http://www.hdtimeline.com/dyna_models/12016-ignition_switch_swap_question.html

Back