free website stats program Ignition switch swap question | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition switch swap question

DadzLowrider

So I did my swap today on my 08 Low Rider and moved the ignition to the dash. Everything seems to work fine, but I did notice when I shut the bike off now the needle on the speedometer moves up and down a bit for a second then stops. But it now stops at just above 1mph when I believe prior to the swap it would sit below 0 when the bike was not on and the switch was off. I would have to assume this is a cause from me doing the swap as I really don't think I did it before. My questions are:
1) If I were to have one of the wires reversed somehow could this cause this? The switch works in all 3 positions as it should do I don't think I wired it wrong.
2) If I used the wrong gauge wire could this cause it? I used 14 gauge wire which is what the stock wire appeared to be.
3) If I have a bad soldier joint in there could this cause it?

I just hooked up my battery tender (after riding the bike today to make sure all was working) and it seems my battery is more dead than it should be. It has been on the yellow light for about 20 minutes, normally it will go from yellow to blinking green within a minute than to solid green within a minute or two after that. So my real question maybe this: If the speedo is reading just over 1 mph could it be because the speedo is somehow getting power to it while the bike is off thus draining the battery?

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

are you sure it didn't do it before? When I shut mine down, after a few seconds the speedo needle moves up a little then down, When you turn it on it does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's the electronic speed sensor calibrating. Mine does go down to zero though.

are you sure it didn't do it before? When I shut mine down, after a few seconds the speedo needle moves up a little then down, When you turn it on it does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's the electronic speed sensor calibrating. Mine does go down to zero though.

I never noticed it doing it before. I may just be paranoid since I just did it and it was my first time doing something like this.

If you know someone with a with a newer bike that also has an electronic speedo you could compare the operation of the needle when you shut down the bike.

Not sure but one thing is for sure, you will know soon enough. Just ride it and see what happens.

Not sure but one thing is for sure, you will know soon enough. Just ride it and see what happens.
I done the same switch swop and mine does the exact same thing but i never realy noticed it before, I have ridden about a thousand miles since the swop out and no problems yet.

I done the same switch swop and mine does the exact same thing but i never realy noticed it before, I have ridden about a thousand miles since the swop out and no problems yet.

Cool- thanks Porkchop, that makes me feel better. Everything else seems to be operating as it should, not battery drain and nothing burst into flames yet.

Cool- thanks Porkchop, that makes me feel better. Everything else seems to be operating as it should, not battery drain and nothing burst into flames yet.

DadzLowrider, do you have any pictures of your ignition switch console/mod?

I noticed that the tank console mounting of the ignition switch for the Dyna has fuel cap (aircraft style) and small guage (is it 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" for a small tach)?

Since my Sporty uses 4.2 gal. longer and slightly flatter tank top surface, do you think the console would fit the Sporty tank curvature reasonably close?

I think I will miss my Willie G. gas cap, oh well...:52: but if it fits, I am thinking of moving mine from the steerer tube up to a new tank console...

Last edited:
Here is mine.
switch.jpg

I Moved mine to the dash on my 07 FXD.
Here are pic's.

Attachments

• FXD Ignition.jpg
    FXD Ignition.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 87
  • FXD Ignition (2).jpg
    FXD Ignition (2).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 96