free website stats program Ignition Switch Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition Switch Problem

wjsjr

My scoots a 99' FLHR, carbureted, I've put all the 53,000 miles on her except for 6,000.

My issue is that the ignition switch is starting to get finicky. (Technical term.) When starting I have to kind of tease it into position to get the red engine light to illuminate. Not that much of a problem, but now recently, I'll be sitting at a stoplight, and I think the normal engine vibration opens the circuit. Bike's dead. I need to finess the switch back into position hit start and we're good to go. I've not had this happen while actually moving.
The key locks the ignition switch, just like any other bike, and the same key locks the forks. I assume if I order a new switch, I need to provide a VIN and request the lock to match original equipment?
Also, if anyone has replaced the ignition switch- top tank mounted - how difficult is it? Just a matter of uncoupling wires from the old switch, replacing the switch and recoupling wires? Or is this a take the tank off kind of endeavor? Should I attempt it myself or have the local HD replace it for big money? Just curious what you might advise.

You only need to remove your instrument panel from the top of the tank. 1 acorn nut between speedo & ign. switch, 1 screw at the base if panel. flip it over and there are 4 screws holding the switch in place with a 3 wire connector on the switch that unplugs. I would assume you are right about new switch/Vin #. I would get one aftermarket and just have the extra key. $30.00 versus $120.00+
tourbox

Tourbox, thanks for the help. Sounds pretty strait forward. I guess carrying two keys is probably worth doing for $90.

I had a 03 RKC that had a simular issue, it would momentarly stall on right hand turns, and back fire on decel. Turned out to be the harness to the switch was loose, after checking for corrosion and reinstalling being sure it was locked on, my problems didn't return.

Back