free website stats program Ignition Switch? Dies running on Rare occasion | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition Switch? Dies running on Rare occasion

BUBBIE

Have a friend that has an 08 SG. Asking me What his problem is?

Once in a great while it will just DIE while riding.

He pulls in the clutch, Re-cycles the Ignition switch and hits the starter and it Starts...

What say you????????

I asked IF the lights were out also? He didn't know but it Did start every time when he recycled the center Ignition switch Once...

Did the 08 have an Ignition switch problem?

Bike is well maintained low miles located here in Az.

I know he has had the tank off a few time...

Thanks for any HELP.:ap

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, I find NO recalls for the switch. I assume you have already passed on checking all connections and checking the battery and for codes?

Harley Davidson FLHX tank assembly filler pipe and cap recall
Recall Date: Jul. 31, 2008
Recalled Component: Tank assembly filler pipe and cap.
Manufactured by: Harley-davidson motor company
Date of Manufacturing: From May. 6, 2007 to Dec. 11, 2007
Units Affected: 47,579
Defect Summary: Harley davidson is recalling 47,579 my 2008 flhp, flhpe, flhr, flhrc, flhrse4, flht, flhtc, flhtcu, flhtcuse3, flhtp, flhx, and fltr motorcycles. These motorcycles may experience a cracking of the fuel filter shell leading to loss of fuel pressure. This loss of fuel pressure can cause diminished performance and, in some cases, may cause an engine stall or a no-start condition.
Consequence: This condition could lead to a crash which could cause injury or death to the rider.
How to Fix: Dealers will replace the fuel filter shell free of charge. The recall began on July 31, 2008. Owners may contact harley davidson at 1-414-343-4056.
Recall Notes: Harley davidson recall no. 0135. Customers may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Vehicles covered in this recall:

2008 Harley Davidson Flhp
2008 Harley Davidson Flhpe
2008 Harley Davidson Flhr
2008 Harley Davidson Flhrc
2008 Harley Davidson Flhrse4

I also have an 08 SG with 30K miles. I've had the tank off multiple times and have never experienced this type of problem. He's just recycling the ignition switch, right. Not doing anything with the run/stop toggle?

I had an 08 that would lose power to fuel pump because of loose connection at pin and pin socket on power wire of connection from tank to harness

I also have an 08 SG with 30K miles. I've had the tank off multiple times and have never experienced this type of problem. He's just recycling the ignition switch, right. Not doing anything with the run/stop toggle?

Correct.... Just the main switch.... Seldom happens but IF he could get it to do it more often, it might be easier to find.:newsmile063:

I'll have to go by his place to check on the trouble codes IF Any....

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, i think i have ran across this before, only on a road king. turned out to be either loose or corroded contacts if i remember correctly.

may or may not be....just throwing it out there.

My 2008 has had no problems to date... Have you check for any stored fault codes???

Back