free website stats program Ignition Switch Alignment!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition Switch Alignment!!!

TQuentin1

Staff member
OK Folks,

I need a hint on how to align the ignition switch without the Ignition Switch Alignment Tool (P/N HD-45962). They look something like the pix below. I switched out the speaker selector switch and the cigarette lighter socket, but in the process, the ignition switch got out of alignment. I do not have the alignment tool, but I have ordered one. I just want to see if someone has a hint on getting it back in alignment so I do not have to wait on the tool!!!

upload_2017-10-21_21-29-3.png

Cheers,

TQ

TQ; I used a dirt bike "tool kit" wrench handle to make my alignment tool. Even a thin screwdriver will work. The trick is to shine a light in, and see the notches so you can align them. Dimensions of my tool are; 4" long, 7/16" wide, 1/8" thick. The thing the "proper" tool does is align the notches without having to look at them, you just push down and twist and it slips into each notch as it gets to it. Good Luck

Attachments

• FLH ign alignment tool.JPG
    FLH ign alignment tool.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 8
TQ; I used a dirt bike "tool kit" wrench handle to make my alignment tool. Even a thin screwdriver will work. The trick is to shine a light in, and see the notches so you can align them. Dimensions of my tool are; 4" long, 7/16" wide, 1/8" thick. The thing the "proper" tool does is align the notches without having to look at them, you just push down and twist and it slips into each notch as it gets to it. Good Luck

Breeze,

I tried all afternoon yesterday messing first with the switch (putting it in just enough to rotate the top section), and then using screw drivers to try and get the alignment right. Got so frustrated with it, I had to walk away. Should have gotten one of these tools after the last time I had the switch out. That time I got lucky and got it all aligned after only a few hours. Thought I would be able to do that again this time. It should be easy to do!!!

OK. So more to the saga!!!

Got the alignment tool yesterday and tried to get the switch housing guts aligned so I could insert the lockset. That part worked, but I could NOT get the lockset to unlock the fork lock. It seems like all my ham-handed work with the large screwdriver has messed up the internal workings of the switch housing. So I have to go buy a new one and replace the one on the bike. Problem is that the fork is locked in the left most position, and I can't get to the screw in the fork well that releases the outer fairing!!! One thing after another.

Supposedly I have to take the outer fairing off, remove the radio and then release the wire harness connector from the switch housing. Oh bother! (as Poo used to say!!!). Gonna try doing it without removing the connector from the front. If that doesn't work, I guess I am gonna have to break the screw anchor for that side of the front fairing! Again, one thing after another!

OK. So I took the lockset out and removed the two bolts holding the switch housing in place. I had bought a new switch housing so I could see how it all worked in my hand. I know that I had messed up the one on the bike working with the large screwdriver, so the fork lock plunger would not retrack. So I just manhandled the old switch housing cracking the plastic and getting it out far enough that I could use a small screwdriver to release the plug. Whew.

Installed the new one and all working fine. Did not need to go in through the front to remove, but it made installing the plug in the new switch housing easier. Not much clearance to get hands in to the front of the switch housing to insert and snap in the plug!!!

Problem solved!!! And that tool is well worth the price!

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Back