free website stats program Ignition key woes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition key woes

Seems pretty straight forward. you guys are using your keys way to much. I only lock my ignition when I'm away from my bike,and it is not in it's resting place.;ie; the garage and padlocked! These bikes have a key fob for a reason. my fob's are no way near my bike. so unless your really capable then no ome is messing with my ride.jmho

Actually your keys get a lot of wear, and it is subject to all the starting and stopping as well as on the Sporty, you use it twice to lock AND run the ignition. So rotating your copies is entirely correct, the guys with the buttonless fobs "can" just walk away, but then we all know an alarm system/immobilizer is fine but no "guarantee" your bike will be there when you get back, and some of the touring riders can cut down some of the wear by using the independent ignition switch knob...locking only when unattended.

But that is cutting down use by 5% maybe. Imagine your car, it is even worse...that one key gets inserted at least 4 time everytime you enter, drive and leave...no surprise that the drivers side door lock on my Honda SUV is needing replacement, being outside AND being operated at least 4 or more like 8 times everytime you drive...and that is with electric door locks...shudder at the thought of having to get into the door to deal with malfunctions there.

Last edited:
Actually your keys get a lot of wear, and it is subject to all the starting and stopping as well as on the Sporty, you use it twice to lock AND run the ignition. So rotating your copies is entirely correct, the guys with the buttonless fobs "can" just walk away, but then we all know an alarm system/immobilizer is fine but no "guarantee" your bike will be there when you get back, and some of the touring riders can cut down some of the wear by using the independent ignition switch knob...locking only when unattended.

But that is cutting down use by 5% maybe. Imagine your car, it is even worse...that one key gets inserted at least 4 time everytime you enter, drive and leave...no surprise that the drivers side door lock on my Honda SUV is needing replacement, being outside AND being operated at least 4 or more like 8 times everytime you drive...and that is with electric door locks...shudder at the thought of having to get into the door to deal with malfunctions there.
I have a solution to your key woes , have your unlocking capabilities on your fob too unlock all your doors at once. that way the driver door doesn't get activated twice. And I guess it's just me cuz i'm 5% the other way barely using my keys at all. btw.

Looks like some riders have maybe never noticed that Sportster's need to use the key to turn on and off the ignition. Dyna Street Bob's and I'm sure some others are the same. A Fat Bob uses a round key in a switch that can be rotated on and off without the key in it. Sportster and Street Bob owners MUST use the key. That's the main reason I changed out my ignition switch to my dash.

Different bikes, different issues.

Looks like some riders have maybe never noticed that Sportster's need to use the key to turn on and off the ignition. Dyna Street Bob's and I'm sure some others are the same. A Fat Bob uses a round key in a switch that can be rotated on and off without the key in it. Sportster and Street Bob owners MUST use the key. That's the main reason I changed out my ignition switch to my dash.

I haven't decided which way to go yet, and, I did rotate all three of my keys.
Hey bigfoot,,,,any idea of the total cost of your conversion?

THANKS
BRIAN

I haven't decided which way to go yet, and, I did rotate all three of my keys.
Hey bigfoot,,,,any idea of the total cost of your conversion?

THANKS
BRIAN

$100 to get the dash stripped & chromed, but that wasn't totally necessary to the conversion. The switch was under $75. The rest was little bits and pieces like bolts and nuts... I did the labour all myself so the cost was minimal.

Back