free website stats program ignition/key issue | Harley Davidson Forums

ignition/key issue

bethewall

Hey everyone,
New here, but some basic searches haven't shown much from the forum; maybe I haven't searched the right keywords. Anyway, I recently purchased an 86 electraglide standard. The key is QUITE worn; almost smooth. I figured I would get a new one made, but was unsure whether or not a key shop could make one from that key and the ignition switch. So in my quest to check it out further, I discovered the ignition switch will actually turn without a key in it -- it is that worn.

The key to unlock the gas and bags is just as worn, and wont unlock the driver's side saddlebag, so I need to know if there is a secret or special way to gain access to that bag as well.

When I searched a couple of internet sites for ignition switches for my bike, the product image and description looks like a common, standard-looking ignition switch, rather than the "lock-unlock" switch which can be turned to fork-lock, ignition, lights, or access. I have been unable to locate any additional info about the ignition switch itself, but needless to say am paranoid to drive it anywhere for fear that it would be stolen since you don't need a key to start/drive it. Surely I don't have to go to the dealership for something like this?

Of course the first recommendation would be to get a really good manual, right? I thought so as well, but am having trouble discovering where to get a good quality manual at a reasonable price......

Try e -bay for that manual get the real harley issued one,as far as the lock there has to be some wrench that will fling a lock on for ya near you less someone other than you going riding?

if its original key, there should be a number stamped somewhere on the key,
maybe even up under the black plastic bit.

That number you can order another key.

You may even be able to find the key number from the VIN, ask a dealer to help.

With that info, it should be possible to get a new switch done up as well.

Thanks guys, I do see there is a three digit code on the very worn out key..... :) Gonna try that first. What about that manual? Struck out on EBAY, any other options come to mind? What about fixmyhog.com -- any experience with them?

On my 84 FLHTC there are 5 positions on the ignition switch; the 4 you mention and an 'off' between fork lock and ignition. It is designed to move without the key unless the switch is moved into the fork lock position and locked.

The fork lock function no longer works on mine but at least the ignition switch locks in the leftmost position when I do that so casual thieves will need to walk away on the bike instead of riding. But why would anyone really want to steal a 25 year old bike when there are much juicier targets available?

This switch is long obsolete and hard/impossible to find.

Official Harley Service manual highly recommended. Sounds like you are searching for some way to avoid it. Eventually you're going to end up buying it. There are some harley dealers that sell over the internet at 20% off list

Back