Ignition key cover loose on Road King

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by colnajoe, Feb 10, 2012.

1. colnajoe

colnajoe Member

One little thing that has started to drive me nuts is that the flip up key cover is loose and it bounces up and down in the wind. Harley says I need to replace the whole thing, it's not a servicable item. Are there any others with this problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it? Velcro here I come?

2. Slapp

Slapp Junior Member

The little plate on top of the cover should pop off and bellow that are two little countersunk phillips head screws. I would recomend taking them out put a drop of BLUE Loctite on each one and re-install.
    Good Luck and be safe.

3. colnajoe

colnajoe Member

We must be talking about different things, I don't see a cover that would come off at all

And I tried to post a pic, but I don't think I have enough posts to do that yet
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  4. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Let me post that picture for you. Hope this works

Attached Files:

5. colnajoe

colnajoe Member

And I tried to post a pic, but I don't think I have enough posts to do that yet

Here's the pic. The two prongs in that hole are the "U" spring that is broken

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Thanks Dan, it works now
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

This has been an on going problem for years with the switch covers rattling, I guess may be the after market may have a better set up, I see alot of them on E bay

7. falconbrother

falconbrother Member

Mine rattles and flops around on my Heritage. I'm replacing the whole switch tomorrow after I go pick it up. On mine there is a small wire spring that holds the cover shut. It has eaten into the switch housing and so it wont stay secure anymore. It seems pretty harmless. It's just irritating.

I replaced one of these on a sportster that had a custom fatbob tank and dash. It was exactly the same switch as is on my Heritage. It looks to me like the newer switches are even easier to switch out.