free website stats program Ignition key cover loose on Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition key cover loose on Road King

colnajoe

One little thing that has started to drive me nuts is that the flip up key cover is loose and it bounces up and down in the wind. Harley says I need to replace the whole thing, it's not a servicable item. Are there any others with this problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it? Velcro here I come?

The little plate on top of the cover should pop off and bellow that are two little countersunk phillips head screws. I would recomend taking them out put a drop of BLUE Loctite on each one and re-install.
Good Luck and be safe.

We must be talking about different things, I don't see a cover that would come off at all

And I tried to post a pic, but I don't think I have enough posts to do that yet
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
This has been an on going problem for years with the switch covers rattling, I guess may be the after market may have a better set up, I see alot of them on E bay

Mine rattles and flops around on my Heritage. I'm replacing the whole switch tomorrow after I go pick it up. On mine there is a small wire spring that holds the cover shut. It has eaten into the switch housing and so it wont stay secure anymore. It seems pretty harmless. It's just irritating.

I replaced one of these on a sportster that had a custom fatbob tank and dash. It was exactly the same switch as is on my Heritage. It looks to me like the newer switches are even easier to switch out.

Back