free website stats program Ignition is on but no Headlights... Pls Help!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition is on but no Headlights... Pls Help!!!

HDFlyer

This is my first posting and was wondering if I can get some help... I turn the ignition on, but I don't get the low beam headlight or the passing lights... I changed the headlight bulb but that doesn't seem to be the problem... I do get the high beam when I select it!!! I have a 2003 Road King... Thanks in advance!!

HDFlyer; passing lights are wired for on w/low beam. You didn't have any other changes w/wiring, or controls (i.e. handlebars, switches, etc.)? If not, sounds like there could be a bad hi/low switch, or wire somewhere in your controls. Check fuses just to make sure all is well w/them...I'm sure Hoople will chime in here soon w/assistance. He's a genious w/electrical issues. Good luck!

Sounds to me that Iceman has you on the right track. If the passing lamps come ON with headlight Low beam, then the most likely candidate for your problem is the Hi/Lo beam switch.
If you don't find 12v across the Yellow & Black wires at the headlight bulb connector it's probably the switch or the pigtail lead.

Remember that the pigtail cable off the hi/lo switch itself gets a lot of flexing, so the wires themselves could be broken especially on a bike that has had a lot of use. That would be the leads from connector 24A & 24B from under the tank right up to the grip hi/lo switch. There could be a break in the yellow wire.

Thanks for the helps Gentlemen... I tried all of the above and could not find the cause of the problem... It's off to the shop I guess... I really appreciate the help!!! Thanks

HD Flyer. I am having the same issue with my 2000 RK Classic. Did you go to the shop, If so what did they do to fix the issue and what was the cost damage. Just wondering what I am in for to start my season.

Thanks

HD Flyer. I am having the same issue with my 2000 RK Classic. Did you go to the shop, If so what did they do to fix the issue and what was the cost damage. Just wondering what I am in for to start my season.

Thanks

You may want to email HDFlyer. His last activity was Sept. 18, 2011

Check the grounding AND if there are intermediate connections (crimps) or components (relay). Do you have a schematic (wiring diagram)?

I have checked all the connections they all seem tight and no broken wires. The high beam works fine jus tno low beam or spots. Maybe the switch itself or the accessory spot switch? All look good. I do not have a wiring diagram. Are there any inline fuses that go to the lights? If so where would they be Haven't been able to find any.

I have checked all the connections they all seem tight and no broken wires. The high beam works fine jus tno low beam or spots. Maybe the switch itself or the accessory spot switch? All look good. I do not have a wiring diagram. Are there any inline fuses that go to the lights? If so where would they be Haven't been able to find any.

Using the attachment locate the headlight dimmer switch at the bottom of the page. The BLUE wire is the battery feed to both high and low beam. When the switch is in the High position, the gray wire becomes hot. When the switch is in the Low position, the yellow becomes hot. Passing light can only be on when headlight beam is in low. The "Lights" 15Amp fuse is the only protection I see.

Since you have high beam, you know the fuse, blue wire and gray wire are good. Check for power on the yellow wire in the headlight bucket when switch is in Low position. Use the black wire for your negative. If you find no power, the rocker switch is probably bad.

Attachments

• 2000-FLH-FLT_Headlights.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 54
As most know I am not much help with electrical/electronic problems. I do have a question about this problem that has happened to two different members. If the low beam is burnt out in the headlight does that have any effect on no power to the passing/driving lights?

Back