free website stats program ignition fuse blows | Harley Davidson Forums

ignition fuse blows

truck475

here is my dilema,I have a 2008 heritage softail,The other day I was unloading my lawn tractor when it went out of control and hit my bike taking out my rear turn signal,I went to harley and bought a new light bar and a lens.I installed them and washed my bike for a trip,I left my house and rode 2 miles when she quit on me.I checked the fusees and had an ignition fuse blow out,I replaced it and turned my switch on and it blew the fuse again,I took the battery out and took my air hose and blew out all my connections even the voltage regulator.When I put yhr battery back in the bike starts and runs fine but the minute I put it in gear it blows the ignition fuse,and it will not take another fuse until I unhook the battery and let it sit for an hour or so than rehook it up and it starts right up until I put it in gear and than it blows a fuse again.Can anyone steer me in the right direction to what I should be looking for.

truck475 welcome to the forum. First check for any diagnostics codes and see what you come up with and report back.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-2362.html

Aside from the rear turn signal there is a good chance something else got damaged and may be throwing a code making it easier to track down. Strange how it blows the fuse when putting it in gear and then won't start for an hour after pulling the battery. Thats a new one on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ignition fuse blows out

Two questions.
1) Is it really blowing the fuse when you put it in GEAR or is it blowing the fuse when you pull in the clutch to put it in gear.
Try just pulling in the clutch and see if that blows the fuse.

2) Is it necessary for the engine to be running for this fuse to blow. If you just turn the ignition ON without starting the engine, and put it in gear, will the ignition fuse blow.

good question,the bike does not have to be running to blow the fuse,if I take the battery out and let it sit then put it back in it wil start and run but the minute I put it in gear it dies.I can than take out the fuse and put in another and just turn the ignition key on and it blows as fast as I can turn the key on,the only way it will run is if the battery is disconected and sits for a half hour or so,and put it back in.no when I pull the clutch in nothing happens,but the minute I hit that shifter it blows the ignition fuse

It sounds like you may have a wire bared and grounding out and the movement of the bike being dropped into gear shorts the circuit out. Check the neutral switch and the associated wiring for the switch.

1) Your positive that the fuse which is blowing is the "ignition" fuse and not the "instr" fuse.
If your sure it is the ignition fuse, perform step #2

2) Disconnect the TSM/TSSM 12 pin connector right at the TSM. The bike will no longer start but see if the ignition fuse will now blow when you go through the motions of turning on the ignition and placing it in gear while pulling in the clutch lever etc. Do everything you did in the past which resulted in the fuse blowing. Will the fuse now blow with the TSM/TSSM plug disconnected?

When you installed the new light bar, did you cut, tape or splice any wires to install it.

I did not cut any wires to put my signals back on,I am going out to perform the steps you suggested,and yes it is only the ignition fuse that blows,by the way thanks for steering me in these directions every little bit helps,I will check back with the results

Do you have one of those modules installed that converts the rear turn signals into running/stop lights.

No bare/pinched wires anywhere? Is there any wires that might have been crossed when putting everything back together???

Back