free website stats program If you were choosing HD Formula + or SPECTRO HEAVY DUTY PRIMARY CHAINCASE OIL in the Primary | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

If you were choosing HD Formula + or SPECTRO HEAVY DUTY PRIMARY CHAINCASE OIL in the Primary

I know that Chaves (venezuela) is supplying HD their oil. That is enough for me no matter what not to but it. Maybe Bin Laden will come out with a good oil?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I went to garage , right on the 20/50 redline blue label ...LOTS OF INFO

on redline it says polyol ester basestocks....best for HIGH HEAT (lubricates modern jet turbines) gotta be GOOD for a HARLEY

ALSO it suggested *not for engine break-in allow 3000 miles

says it also CAN be used in motorcycle wet clutch applications.....

I never looked to see the 3000 mi statement..

Thoughts of a post back about synthetics when GLIDER said all but redline right off the bat...Now i know what he meant.

I put it into my 09 FLHR @ 400 miles but feel good and broke the bike in 30/60/30 off the showroom floor..

I also have had NO problems with using it EARLY in any of my other motors.

signed....BUBBIE

While lable say ok for primary there are many that argue SYN do not belong there because of the wet clutch. Thinking is it is not good for the clutch long term.
I have used Redline SYN primary lube in the past, and had no clutch issue, but that is a product designed for the primary and not engines.
I know several riders that use SYN engine oil in the primary, none have had any issue yet.
The Redline was ok in primary when I used it and would have no problem with using it again myself.
Spectro is easier for me to get HD dealer carriers it and is low cost.

I ONLY use the redline 20/50 for the engine.. It says on the bottle CAN

use redline MTL for the chaincase (It's made for that)

I also have had NO problems and on my traded in 2000 dyna .... A HOT ROD with over 117,000 miles on it and the ORIGINAL clutch (3 rebuilds on motor)... Used MTL since new NEVER replaced ANY parts of clutch.. saying that really makes me a believer of good maintenance along with synthetic products...

I also like the shockproof heavy in my tranny.... I would have no problem from what is said here to use the spectro product IF RED wasn't so good to me for such a long time ....

Availability of REDLINE is a problem in a lot of locations... I order by the case and so far I've been okay as long as I plan ahead for the LONG trips....

THANKS for your input smitty, I like what you have to say... and mostly agree with you.. what a great site for sharing opinions!

I Just wanted to point out MAINLY the good QUALITY of the ester used in redline oil.....

signed....BUBBIE

I use SPECTRO HEAVY DUTY PRIMARY CHAINCASE OIL in the Primary, Spectro 6-speed in the Tranny, and Spectro in the engine.....Has been awesome so far......

Glider, fantastic, informative article. Thank you for putting this up. i have never seen this explained so clearly. People bag the Syn3 and i never knew why. now I know this and heaps more.

I'l be going Mobil 1 V twin in the engine and Spectro in the 6 speed box and primary.

Neil

Another motor saved from the syn 3 :D

Glad it helped out but if you check the self help area, it's all in there.:s

Yesterday I was able to ride for the first time after switching to Spectro Primary. (I had previously switched the trans to Spectro 6 Speed at about 2k miles).

I noticed a reduction in the shifting "clunk" between gears with the new primary lube. Especially the 1-2shift. It was noticeably smoother than the Amsoil that I replaced.

I next intend to do the clutch adjustment that has been described here on HDT. And I'm hopeful that will improve the shifting even more.

The bike has about 4200 miles on it now and I'll be sticking with the Spectro products (trans & primary) from now on.

As far as the engine goes, the M1 VT has been in it since about 2K miles and I'm happy with the way it performs. I'll keep using it.

I noticed a reduction in the shifting "clunk" between gears with the new primary lube. Especially the 1-2shift. It was noticeably smoother than the Amsoil that I replaced.

It's a better quality oil than the Amsoil so I don't find this hard to believe.

Back